Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66' malibu with a 5.7ltr 350, points style ignition,new coil,new distributor,ignition wires, and every wire under the hood is brand new, have an externally regulated alternator which is a brand new 60 amp unit, new A/C Delco maintainence free battery, new borg warner select regulator, the problem right now is I can't really measure readings right now due to no meter, planning on getting one real soon cause this is killin me. Anyway got it all together connected the battery and all was well started right up ran fine. Only the Gen light was on so I turned on the lights and brought the engine speed to speed. Light still on, so took the ground off the regulator, light went out. Have power to alt red wire with everything off also red wire to regulator. With engine running all regulator wires have power. Blue wire on alt has probably half the votage than the white wire. Red wire has the same power. I know i really need to get a meter, but this is just through the test light.But the problem is all ran fine last night stopped,started engine several times just took it up and down the street a couple of times not legal yet and no exaust pipes just manifolds, drove the neighborhood kids off the streets. This was it's maiden voyage since a rebuild short of a frame off. Left everything connected. Next morning went to start and fired right up. I was extatic, only to be shot down two hours later when tried again and engine barely moved and then nothing just solenoid clicking. Jumped it three hours later,fired right up. Swithched it off tried again with out jumper solenoid wouldn't even try to come to life. Totally dead. Don't understand why it fired up when first tried in the morning, then would'nt two hours later. Battery should have been dead in the morning if something was hot all night. Any advice on this would help, going to get a meter tommorow hopefully.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
After you get your meter, put up a couple of numbers. Any cheap meter will do. A little confused on why the blue seemed higher than the white. Blue is usually near the battery (12 volt) voltage. Not a great idea to unground the voltage regulator. Doing that doesn't tell you much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts