Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on a test drive in my sons 67 the Gen light came on and stayed on. I had the alt tested and they said it was bad. Now I wonder! Put it on and the gen. light went out. But then after a few miles it came back on and stayed on again. So I thought well for 10 bucks I might as well put a new external regulator on. At first that make no difference. So back to the garage, I checked some things and took it back out again. Now it seems to be working. Although the light tries to come on sometimes at a idle. This doesn't need to be polarized does it? Any suggestions would be helpful. Oh ya, the belt is tight. And I wouldn't think it would make any difference but it is a double pole volt reg. as this was a car with air at one time. Thanks

------------------
Steve

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would try to polarize the regulator, can't hurt unless you flash the wrong terminals! My 69 ragtop scares me sometimes with weak appearing lights on at night even with a new regulator and a known good alternator. I'm planning on switching to an internal regulator type of alternator. From what I've seen posted, the wiring modifications are pretty simple.

------------------
69 SS396 69 Malibu Ragtop
70 Monte 72 El Camino
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

W

·
0 Posts
Slime, if you are not running a resto rod, I would convert to one of the internal units or the single wire units, much cleaner and simpler to deal with. I did the 67 years ago and when I plug the new bullet in it will be the single wire deal.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette(crashed)Bad day at Blackrock!

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Make sure the alternator has good ground contact to the engine, this can cause "the little lite" when there is a poor or no ground contact. Also, connect a voltmeter to the terminals on the battery while the engine is running, a good properly working charging system will register about 14 volts at the battery terminals.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Slime I had the same problems. I checked and cleaned all the grounds I could find. I finally put in a powermaster one wire alt and now have the brightest lights I have ever seen on my 71. Even with all accessories on its still charging the battery. I highly reccomend one,and boy what an easy connection!

------------------
71 malibu 350/350
TC member#566

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys. What is involved to go to a alt. with a internal regulator? I have switched over to HEI ignition. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
Slime if you go with a true one wire alt. you simply remove the old wiring harness from the old alt.(tape it up).Then you run a single 10 gauge wire to the positive battery post. That is it. Dont worry about the old voltage reg.You dont have to do any splicing ,just leave it as it is.

------------------
71 malibu 350/350
TC member#566

·
Registered
548 Posts
hey guys a one wire alternater is just that, ONE WIRE, one wire you say and where should that wire go.Well if that is to charge the batt,you already have a big red wire on the alternater so hook it back up and go have a cool one...FRED

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.