Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'd like to say hello to all of you... I used to be a regular on this board but life has gotten in the way of my hobby for awhile. Now I'm taking my car out of storage and need some help with a charging problem... I can't seem to get any alternator to charge my system. I've got a one wire setup with a 100amp Powermaster and at the charging wire terminal on the alternator I can only get 11.9 volts. This is the second new and I assume good alternator I've tried and still can't seem to charge my battery. Battery is new and car starts immediately, however I'm afraid to take her out because the voltage seems to fluctuate from 12volts to maybe 11. Why can't I get a full charge? I've got an 8guage wire from the alt spliced into the battery cable before the starter which then runs to the trunk(1/0 cable). HELP... and it's good to be back.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'm sure you know that alternator won't kick in unless you rev up the engine to start it. I assume you tried that.
Doesn't the Powermaster have a plug over the connector terminals? Tried setting up the alternator as a 3-wire alternator? Maybe if you hook up the sense and field connections it will start.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I tried to rev it many times to no avail. How exactly do I hook it up as a three wire setup? Btw, aren't you originally from Chi-town?

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Tony!!! Great to see you on the board again! I dont think i've talked to you since the last e-mail you sent me. Ever get rid of those tires at your parents house?

I just helped a friend put a new alternator on his '65 4-4-2, same type of setup as you, however the battery was still in the engine compartment. It worked fine for me. Have you taken your alternator to NAPA to have it checked? I had a new powermaster bad out of the box on my old truck.

And FYI - I have my 3 wire alternator wired exactly like the link John posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts