Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery is not charging and my generator light is on in the car. This is the third time I have had this problem in the last year. I have replaced the alternator and voltage regulator twice, and it seems to be solved each time. I just replaced them both a little over a month ago, and the battery started cherging. Then a day later the gen light came back on, and it wasnt charging. The next day when I put the car into park, the light went out and the car was fine. The light has now been on for about a week and it is not charging. Does anyone know what would be causing this problem? Could it be wiring? How would I check this? Could an alternator with an internal regulator solve the problem?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Did you check the distilled water level in all the battery cells? You most probably have, but sometimes you forget the obvious. Been there, done that. :D

Olli

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery is good. The car starts, but it is slowly dying as the battery is not being charged.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Does anyone know what would be causing this problem? Could it be wiring? How would I check this? Could an alternator with an internal regulator solve the problem?
I think I have the solution for you.
I had the smae problem with my 70 and 71. I rewired it to bypass the external voltage regulator and I went with an altenator w/an internal regulator. I still drive the car to this day and haven't had that problem since. Here are a couple photos to show you what I mean.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 71's battery was tested only to find that it had a bad cell in it. But I rewired it to rid my headaches for good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you just disconnect the voltage regulator and buy the adaptor harness for the new alternator, or do you need to rewire everything

1 - 8 of 8 Posts