Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem a while now with my charging system. I have replaced the alternator and voltage regulator twice, and each time it appears fixed for a month or so, until the problem comes back. The battery has been checked and is good. A lot of people have told me that this may be a bad ground. I have no idea where this ground would be located or what it looks like, or how I can test it. Any advice would help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to do some of those measurements tonight, and with the key on engine off, my measurements did not seem to be right. The blue and the brown wire were both around 3.5 and the third wire was around 12 (about 11.8), but the second wire which I think was supposed to read 0 was reading 3.2 volts. Some of the wires looked a little rough on the ends, and the wires are very hard to follow as they go into the back and are in a harness with loose wires coming out all over the place. It is clear that this wiring was tampered with before by a previous owner. I removed the ac compressor which has added a few more loose hanging wires, and I am not sure if something should be done with them. How can I better check these wires now that my readings were off?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
key on engine off
The blue and the brown wire were both around 3.5
the third wire was around 12 (about 11.8), but the second wire which I think was supposed to read 0 was reading 3.2 volts.

Double check the reading on the second wire. This is usually a white or light colored wire and only goes one place. It goes from regulator terminal 2 to the alternator plug.
Also measure it at the alternator plug both with engine off and with engine on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some tests on the alternator and was able to determine that it was actually a bad voltage regulator. My old one was still under warranty so they gave me a new one, I put it in, and the cars fine. I dont understand why these things keep going bad. This is the third voltage regulator this year. I think when this one goes bad I might try to go with an SI alternator, and see if this solves the problem. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts