Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why do i have to charge by battery everyweek? its been very cold out this past winter, every saturday i have to charge it? do i have to disconnect the battery in the winter? i dont have this problem in the summer. Battery and alt are new. Please explain.
Frank

·
Registered
859 Posts
Have you checked for parasidic drains? And if so, what or how much current are they eating up? Did you add a new stereo or any electronic device? Is your battery recharging to the full 12.65vdc. If not, then it's probably bad or shorted or the charger is not floating to the full voltage!

Whether or not you have ANY parasidic drain, wet cells discharge anywho. This is what's so great about Optimas. They have very long shelve lifes and I can leave them all winter and still crank the behegies (technical term ;) ) out of it.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If there is no drain caused by a problem and it's charging properly:
I have a car sitting with a computer and a modern stereo. It can sit for a month or two. I have a float charger plugged in and attached to the battery. Bought one called Battery Tender Plus but there are other brands. Shop the net for price.
A week sounds too short for a working car to drain a battery.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses, the only thing i can think of is my car alarm is hooked up wrong. what else can it be? if soemthing is drawning juice wouldnt something be on? lights? etc... but i dont even set the alarm at night! you know what this is gonna force me to do>> is rip out my whole elcetrial system and replace everything! get a modern fuss box and all new harnesses. i will be taking out my alarm and buying a new battery.
any other suggestions?
frank

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Hook a light bulb and socket between the negative cable and the negative battery post. The light should not come on with the key off during this light bulb test.
Modern stereo with memory? Disconnect the memory line. Repeat light bulb test.
Disconect the large red wires on the horn relay. Repeat light bulb test.
If the wire leading up the fender to the inside connector is the problem. Attach that one and start pulling fuses while repeating the light bulb test.
Changing out the wiring won't fix the problem if it's a bad diode in the alternator causing it.
Hook those wires up on at a time. Repeat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts