Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change the pinion yoke on my 66 12 bolt to a 1350 yoke, what do I need to do as far as a torque spec? I have a new seal ready to install, In the past,If I used same yoke, I used to make a mark with a sharp chisel and tighten nut down one chisel width past mark. But on this rear end I dont want to get into guts again as it is set up perfectly.

Frank
66SS396

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
The chisel mark thing works great, when using the same yoke, you are correct. Well when you pull the rear end apart mark the shims and put everything back the way you found it. Thats the only way you can do this since you are changing yokes, is to get the right rotating torque and preload on the pinion bearings. This should not change any of your other rear end settings.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I'll probably get hammered for saying this but I would just change the yoke/seal and torque to 150 lbs. If I remember correctly this is BGH's procedure...Sealer on splines and red LT on threads.

Quote from BGH post:
Remove the old yoke and seal. Install a new seal, but don't drive it in all the way. You need to leave it out about 1/16 to 1/8 inch because the new seals are sometimes too long and contact the outer pinion bearing. Use a small amount of sealant around the inside of the housing where the seal will go to seal any scratches in the housing. Use grease on the rubber lip of the seal. Smear some sealant into the splines of the yoke and install it. Use red Lock Tight on the threads and torque the nut to 150 foot pounds. That should do it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pat, thats what I was planning on doing was torque to 150 ft. lbs. and ship it. Figured i would throw it out there for some more ideas. Possibly I could check rotating torque, and work up in stages to duplicate?

Frank
66SS396

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I think it takes around 300 pounds to crush the sleave unless it's weakened. I've use BGH's procedure and will use it again...I tried this on a used rear end with the carrier/ring gear out of the case, I don't have an inch TW so used my calibrated arm which indicated it was OK to go.....not very scientific. I did run a tooth pattern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts