Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get longer wheel studs for my axels. The studs in the car are .472. I can not find longer studs in that size. The closest one are .480. What can I do to make these fit? Thanks Matt

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
A .480 knurl stud will pull into the previous .472 knurl.

I did mine with an impact wrench and hardened washers. Just slide the studs through their holes in the axle....slip the hardened washers on, and use an open ended lug nut and thread it right down on the stud, sandwiching up against the washers and pulling the stud through til its seated.

I used a regular old crafstman impact. No real high torque deal or anything. Didnt take too long.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
I used a 1/2" drive rachet a 1/2" drive socket a hardened washer and a stock lugnut, put the stud in run it through the socket and put the washer on it then tighten the lug nut down on top of it ,that will pull the stud in

·
Registered
3 Posts
quick question, my 68 has some broken studs cuz the guy who had it first broke em removing the drum, im wanting to put some new ones that are longer like you guys did but how do i remove em, i got the drum off so whats next, never had to do something like this

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Take a BFH and a punch and tap them out, wear safety glasses!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I had to replace some extra long studs on an axel once, and had to pull the darn thing because they were too long to punch out the rear side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts