Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at either getting the Autolite 404s or the NGK BR6ES.
Im currently running (fouled) AC DELCO R45TS.
Which should I get? Which is better the autolites or the NGKs. I did a search and got some good answers but want some more opinions.
Heres the engine combo
407ci
9.8:1 comp
67 427 heads (215)
HEI ignition with Taylor wires, 36* total
3000 stall th400
2.56 gears
Intake and carb change coming soon
Now- Torker II with 650 DP
Later (this weekend)- Performer RPM with 750 DP

THANKS

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
usually fouled plugs are a result of tunning issues, not the brand of plugs-single, dual plane, lobe sep., all these things come into play and screw up the carb signal-since your already running a somewhat "hot plug" there are other issues-switching to the dual plane may help somewhat, but your combo is all over the place, 2:56 gears and a 3k converter?-hard to say what the cam is
the biggest diff i saw on plugs was bet standard and extended reach tips
i have been running autolites(correct ones based on cyl heads) because their cheap on sale, .99 cents, and i have run over 20 lbs boost and never fouled one, but i have used other brands as well
i would suggest a vac. sec carb, unless you plan to switch out the rear at sometime

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I think my engine was pieced together with what they had or could find. My gears wont stay, 3.42-3.55, is what I want to put in it. I had 4.10s and couldnt stand them so they had to come out.
Im trying to get my engine built better and build the car while im at it and money has become an issue.
I figured Id step up 1 heat range on each of the plugs that are recommended.

My Cam
Hydraulic flat tappet
.540/.540 lift
286/296 advertised duration
114 lobe center
This cam will also be changed out soon.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car will be tuned better when the other stuff is installed. But I need new plugs anyway. They have over 4000 miles on them and havent been changed.

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
I really like Delco plug in a GM head. They did a lot of research on getting the heat range right for each application. I'd stick with R45TS and if they don't last then go one step to a different heat range. Aftermarket aluminum is a different story.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I ran AC Delco religiously for years...then I tried Autolite Copper plugs. I don't think I'll be putting and more money into AC Delcos. It run much better most noticeably on startup it will idle by itself almost right away...It never did that before. If you want an opinion Autolite Coppers work for me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts