Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if anyone has changed their oil pan and timing cover without removing the motor? We were thinking about using a chainfall to lift it just enough to get clearance and then perform this task... any suggestions because pulling the motor at this time is not an option....
HELP!

------------------
Julie
'71 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/7827/

·
Registered
133 Posts
I couldn't do the oil pan on my 70 but the timing chain cover is easy.

Mine is a big block.

[This message has been edited by Aug98 (edited 06-15-99).]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Raven;

The simple answer is NO.

Even if you do manage to do it, the risk of an oil leak is there.

Wes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is possible but its a pain in the A**. I dont know if it wouldn't be easier to take engine off. I have done it. First you must take off engine mount bolts of course remove all accesories, remove distributor cap so you dont damage it. Then put a jack under your oil pan. use a wood block that will protect your pan. (so it doesn't collapse on you) Then jack up your engine until you have enough clearance to clear your crossmember. Its a tight fit and you will need to wiggle it but it come off. Remove any accesorie that might be in your way. Hope this helps.I forgot build up some wood block to put in the space between your raised engine mount. So that your can remove your jack!

[This message has been edited by JD (edited 06-14-99).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
i tried doing the same thing once in my 69 with a small block,after removing the headers,distributor,motor mounts and the valve covers i still could not get it high enough to remove the pan (the pan was stock at the time)i ended up pulling the engine.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have removed the pan on my '69 SB w/air.
An overhead chain will be easier than jacking from below. You'll have to raise it until the trans starts to push up on the floor tunnel.
Also, you may have to rotate the crank because the pan will contact the front connecting rod in certain positions.
Wish you well,
Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
Been there, done that, with my '68 small block when I added the crank scraper. Did it just like RT said. Make sure you do the best cleaning and sealing job you can, 'cause you don't want to do this job again soon.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
RT is right. It can be done with a SB. Lift it from above. I did it with my 72.
kevin d

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had done this twice like JD had. I have a 73 with a small block. I only had to remove the Dist Cap and fan shroud so I could jack the engine up enough, wasn't pulling the front cover at that time. I seem to remember unbolting the tranny mount to get more clearance. I used the wood blocks also, under the pan and to keep the motor jacked up. Obviously you have to take all the accessories off if you need to pull the front cover.
This takes a few hours and is quite a pain in the ass. Put the front cover back on first then put the pan bolts on from rear to front. The front seal between the front cover and pan is fun. Try to compress it with longer bolts first then replace one at a time with the pan bolts. These are the larger ones ( 7/16 head)
Consider pulling the motor, It may take less time and you may have problems getting the pan off like some of the other guys.

------------------

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I thought pulling the engine out of my 71 wasn't an option either. After getting it on jackstands and crawling under it, I took one look at the nightmare pulling the pan was about to be and decided that pulling the engine was the best option. I had the engine out a couple of hours later.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 06-16-99).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.