Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing my dash in my 1970 malibu, to a dash out of a 1970 Monte. Niether car has guages(bummer) The question I have is whether or not the wiring harness out the monte will work, everything seems ok up til I get to the heater control area, I noticed the monte's heater wires are inside the cab instead of the engine area, also the heater control on the monte had 3 levers instead of 2 as on the malibu. Any and all info will be appreciated.

------------------
Pat"The Soundkat>^..^<"Hoffman
1970 Chevelle SS (clone)

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
If the dash and wiring are indeed a 70 unit, everything is the same at the bulkhead. Your 70 chevelle front harnesses will plug in with no mods and no wires need to be moved, just confirmed this by checking the wiring diagrams for both cars. As far as your heater control, chevelles and montes use the same ones. Should only be 2 levers, but you can use the heater control in your malibu dash, it will fit in the monte dash. Just make sure you really have a 70 dash, should only be 2 levers whether you have A/C or not.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hold up there drptop70ss, you're correct about everything except the AC/Heater controls.... In 1970, AC cars only had two levers, while non-AC cars had 3 levers. I know this as a fact, because my father has a 70 with AC and I have a 70 without. Soundkat, it sounds like your Malibu is an AC car, which would explain why the heater wiring is in the engine compartment. AC cars had an extra harness for the AC/Heat system, and in non-AC cars, the heater wiring was part of the dash harness. So even though monte/chevelle dash harnesses are interchangeable, I don't think it's possible to swap between AC and non-AC cars, at least not without some minor modifications.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Ok you made me get up off my lazy but and go to the garage, pull off the car cover, and yep there are 3 levers on the non A/C heater control..sorry about that just goes to show how long its been since I drove the car!

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am doing a dash change also [see the trobble shooting postings] I have ask many questions and have studyed Year Ones catalog and I can tell you that A/C or No A/C makes no diferance at all when you order a dash harness or engine harness , if its a A/C car then there is a seperate harness for A/C so if you have a A/C Car you will need A/C control [2 lever] and A/C harness and well you know all the other A/C stuff ,, seems like your problem is a simple one ,,, like mine was once I got help figureing what year dash I had

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.