Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the easiest way to get to the under dash speaker in my 66 malibu? It seems to be bolted up their somehow and i cant get a wrench up high enough to get it out. Do i have to take out the dash or is their an easier way. Also, has anyone installed other speakers under the dash or up front anywhere? if so, where did you stick(hide)them? Any sound system suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

------------------
Jon Bush
66 Malibu Sport Coupe
Fremont CA, birthplace of many a chevelle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Jon
Nice to know there is someone nearby. I am in San Jose.
To the point at hand. As far as i know you have to take the dash off to get to the speakers. That is what we did in my friends 72 wagon and my 70 Malibu. I dont know if a 66 is the same as a 70 but it probably is. What you'll find is a big rectangular piece of metal with one speaker in it. You can either buy a replacement or my friend angled two 4" speakers in the one hole. It works just fine. I don't know any specific sound system you should use.
GO BAY AREA CHEVELLES!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know if this will help but here goes. I had the glove box liner out on my '69 to fix the defroster ducts and I was able to get at the speaker through the glove box opening. It was quite a stretch but way easier than taking the dash apart. I don't know if this will work with a '66. As far as putting in new speakers, Custom Autosound sells a two speaker replacement to fit into the original dash. Many restoration catalogs have these available. As Chris said, you can mount two round speakers in place of the original which is what the Custom Autosound replacement is.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
I removed the origional dash speaker from my non-ac '68 thru the glovebox opening with very little trouble. I replaced it with the Custom Autosound 2-coaxial speaker plate. It was a direct bolt in and sounds good with a Jensen stereo that provides 10 watts per channel. I am very pleased with it. SSuper Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
jon,
i am in the same process with my 68 malibu. soundmove.com makes repro stereos and speakers for this application. am waiting on the literature now but there is some good pics on their web site.
good luck.
lynn

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
When I replace the speaker in my 68, I did it a bit differently. I took out the radio, and then by getting myself under the dash, more or less up-side-down, I could see right up behind the dash and to the speaker mounts.

From there is was pretty easy, as long as you didn't drop the tools on your head. In retrospect, perhaps there is an easier way to do it

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 99]

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html

Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I changed the dash speaker in my 71 I used the mounting bracket that the factory speakers were mounted to. I mounted a Plexi-glass plate to the bracket, and mounted a JBL 4X6 plate speaker that to the Plexi-glass. It is cheaper than buying anything custom, and sounds just as good. Sorry I can't with how to get the original out.
Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I changed the dash speaker in my 71 I used the mounting bracket that the factory speakers were mounted to. I mounted a Plexi-glass plate to the bracket, and mounted a JBL 4X6 plate speaker that to the Plexi-glass. It is cheaper than buying anything custom, and sounds just as good. Sorry I can't help with how to get the original out. I have never seen under the dash of a 66.
Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a bit of a stereo freak so I set up my 67 for sound quality and it does not require any cutting. Built triangle boxes to tuck into the extreme corners of the kickpanels. My interior is black so I covered the small enclosers with black carpet and you can't see them. It looks good, sounds great, and requires little fabrication.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.