Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a good used dash pad for my '65, its black but I need to redo it as my interior is red. Any recommendations on how to go about this? Vinyl dyes? Im looking to match the factory color. What should I use and how should the dash pad be prepped? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
check npd and opg they have different selections of dyes one of the two should have your color. It will cover the black no problem. One sells stuff called vinly prep, its a professional cleaner that removes soils, wax,and grease.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
I used a dye, paint really as it doesn't penetrate the vinyl, from Year One. I changed a black pad to tan. It still looks good after 8 years. I reordered another couple cans a few years later to do the plastic on my bucket seats. The color matched perfectly. It cost a bit more from YO but worth the result. Be sure to use mild soap to clean the vinyl and a Vinyl Prep before shooting the dye.

SEM is a very good quality dye that you should be able to locate locally. I went with YO because the tan I wanted was not readily available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts