Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to change the front clip on a '71 or a '72 Chevelle to look just like a '70? I don't really like the looks of the 71 or the 71 as much as I do the 70. Is there anything else to change? That would really make it look more like a 70, or is the front the only difference? Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey Jack, I my self have thought about doing this backwards, 7* rear bumper on my 70... sometging about 2 lights up front 2 lights out back. Weellll as far as I can tell just the grill and lights, and bumpers need to be changed BUT the sub frames, all those stupid brackets that seem to get in the way whne changing light bulb, doing eletrical work etc etc may need some fiddelin' to make the parts mount up.

good luck and great tast on the 70 front end

francis

almost forgot to tell you, from OPGI:
Grills -250 ish
Bumper with markers -350ish
Headlamp housings -250 -350 if they can be found
and now the kicker headlamp bezels, that cute chrome trim you must have to not look like a rolling heap'a... any where from 75 a piece to 400 for the set 8( humph

find a donner car and sell me your 70+bumper 8)

[This message has been edited by Quadzilla (edited 03-05-99).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
You might also have to change the fenders. There were some differences in fenders due to the side marker lamp. I don't know how well '70 fender extensions will fit onto '71/72 fenders - but if they do, you will lose the side marker lamp.

If you happen to have a full donor car, then use the fenders also, if you can.

Just some thoughts... hope it works for you. If it does, post some notes and tell us the details!

·
Gold Founding Member
63,539 Posts
You will have to change the fenders also, There is a little diference in the head light bucket area. I made a 70 fender out of a 71 fender once and in addition to welding the marker light portion on, I had to butcher out the head light bucket area a little (it's hidden by fender extension)
I have always thought that the best looking Chevelle would be a 70 with 71-72 back bumper

------------------
Dean Call
Overland Park KS.
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

·
Registered
39 Posts
About 18 years ago, had a high school buddy that put a 70 front cap on a 71 Chevelle. Don't recall if he had any problems. After paint, the car looked great! It was a factory 402 4-speed. Of course back then it was just a car. Sure wish I had it now.

------------------

·
Registered
158 Posts
in my own opinion ,i wouldnt do it .i went to look a car that was 70 in the front and 72 body,didnt look right. cloning an ss is one thing, but choppin em up dont look right [its just a moral issue].any way what this car had was 70 fenders with side markers,and the radiator support ,70 has two indents for the lights a 71,72 will not work.i think 71,72 fenders also bulged out a little more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.