Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chain dragging sound

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Hot66ss 
#1 ·
Whenever I drive at a low constant speed (when I can hear over the engine).I hear a sound every once in a while that sounds like a chain dragging I've looked and have NO clue what it is. Any ideas?

Thanks

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
members.aol.com/chvellss

#2 ·
Something inide one of your brake drums or, if you have trim rings, one or more are creaking.

------------------
Tom Parsons

#3 ·
Might be your U-joints? they sometimes make a sound like you describe when they go bad. Also, check your brake pads to make sure they are not down to the metal warning tabs.

#4 ·
I just did the breaks and i had the sound before and now after. I also hear a sound sometimes like a nail in a tire sound if that helps.

Thanks again

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
members.aol.com/chvellss

#5 ·
backing plates scraping on brake drums?

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
www.angelfire.com/ca4/chevelle/
Team Chevelle Member #71

#6 ·
NOPE!

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
members.aol.com/chvellss

#7 ·
Oh alright, no need to get hostile tom.
(just kidding) My car was doin that sound and that was it.

BTW- read you got the 67 back from the body shop how'd the 66 turnout?
------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
www.angelfire.com/ca4/chevelle/
Team Chevelle Member #71

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 11-08-99).]

#8 ·
The 66 is STILL in the body shop. its been little over a year now (ERR). I need to go down there. the 67 has a ppg basecoat clear coat now and the paint is all done except the hood. I didnt have em do it because I was looking into a ss hood or a high rise fiber glass. moneys a little tight right now.

Thanks

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
members.aol.com/chvellss

#9 ·
Sounds like the dust shield on the rear yoke of the differential. It's a little round metal shield that keeps dirt out of the pinion seal and they have a habit of coming loose and rattling around on the yoke. You can either cut it off or spot weld it back in place. Just make sure to place the spot welds evenly around the yoke. Two or three spots should do it.

#12 ·
the rear end is a fresh 12 bolt posi i dont see wy it would have any prob with only 5,000 on it.

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
members.aol.com/chvellss

#13 ·
The dust shield could still be loose, even with a fresh rear end. The shield is tacked on to the yoke, and remember, the yoke is still over thirty years old, even though the rear end has fresh parts inside it. Just crawl under the car and try to wiggle it. If it moves, you've found the noise.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 11-10-99).]

#14 ·
This might be an off the wall suggestion, but...have you looked under the hood? Maybe a belt that's too tight, causing your alternator or water pump to make that noise as the bearings self-destruct? Just a thought.
Bryan

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

#16 ·
found the sound. was a washer on one of my shock bolts. that little thing was making a lot of noise. turns out that is has the wrong kind of bolt in there and is missing that clip thing. now im on the hunt for a shock bolt and that little clip thing it bolts into. guess i got to drive out to the junk yards

Thanks for the help

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
members.aol.com/chvellss

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.