Team Chevelle banner

ceramic vs steel

784 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 ·
Anyone with any comments with regards to the use and instalation of steel clutches vs the ceramic variety in an eaton posied 12bolt? :confused:
Any tricks for my rebuild next week would be appreciated as my 540 should be ready about the same time.
With ever increasing power being thrown at it I have chosen steel...blew out the ceramic clutches late fall:( ......understanding that I really should go to one of the bolt in 9":thumbsup: ....want to try once more as the 12 bolt has been upgraded everywhere....$$$....and stubborn:eek: .

Thanx eh :cool:

G
#2 ·
Anyone with any comments with regards to the use and instalation of steel clutches vs the ceramic variety in an eaton posied 12bolt? :confused:
Any tricks for my rebuild next week would be appreciated as my 540 should be ready about the same time.
With ever increasing power being thrown at it I have chosen steel...blew out the ceramic clutches late fall:( ......understanding that I really should go to one of the bolt in 9":thumbsup: ....want to try once more as the 12 bolt has been upgraded everywhere....$$$....and stubborn:eek: .

Thanx eh :cool:
Well I never ran a 540 or for that matter anything larger than a 368 motor but I did run a 302 Z/28, 68 car on slicks with a GM posi unit and 5.86 gears. I turned her loose at 7500 to 8000 and never had a problem, 11.80s on 9 inch tires. All I did was use the stock GM rebuild kit for the posi and shim it tight.:beers:

#3 ·
You can use the 18 disc steel clutch set, or the 22 disc steel clutch set. The 22 discs will give better grip, but might chatter when turning corners. The 18 disc set will probably last longer. Are you still using the 400 pound (yellow) springs? There are 800 pound springs available if you want even more grip, but they are very hard to install. Be sure that you get the preload set right on the clutches. They are shimmed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.