Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a ceramic paint additive from Hy Tech thermal Solutions llc. I plan to add this to some solvent base paint that I have and then spray it on the interior of (in this case) a '82 GMC Jimmy (Blazer) vehicle which needs some help with interior insulation. Have any of you folks tried this stuff? Lizard Skin and Cool Car Ceramic both have ceramic paint products that have the ceramic 'beads' already in their paint. The problem is that it is pretty expensive. Hy Tech says their product can be added to water of solvent based paints. The beads to mix with 2 gallons of paint cost less than $25. Anyone tried this?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is Hy Tech's website

http://www.hytechsales.com/

In my original thread I meant to say that these ceramic beads ("microspheres") could be added to any paint-water or solvent based. I have ordered some of this stuff and will post the outcome. My buddy has an infared temp measuring device so we should be able to determine how effective this stuff is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are several threads related to the same idea at hotrodders.com. Some have tried it with positive results. I thought it sounded like a promising adventure- but haven't tried it personally.

Do a search on "alternative to lizard skin" over there, and you should get some informative threads.

Nooj

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have bought the material. It looks like talcum powder. Enough to put in 2 gallons of regular paint was $35 delivered. I hope to paint the top of the gmc Jimmy this week. I will go to the hotrod site and see what those folks say.
Mike

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
How thoses beads work is by acting and small air traps within the media they are suspended in. The same theory in how the air pockets in your can cooler work or any other insulating/sound deadening work. Simple physics actually and the microspheres are used as a filler in polyester resins to reduce costs and weight of finished part. Played with this stuff in the mid 80s in work and school and other things.
Wear a mask as particals float and will cause health issues, coughing them up tears up lungs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are several threads related to the same idea at hotrodders.com. Some have tried it with positive results. I thought it sounded like a promising adventure- but haven't tried it personally.

Do a search on "alternative to lizard skin" over there, and you should get some informative threads.

Nooj
The thread at hotrodders.com covers this matter exhaustively. A couple of folks there put the paint on with the ceramic additive mixed in. The results (at least to me) do not look so great. There was a reduction in transferred heat but it was not very significant. Take a look toward the end of the thread (last 4 pages or so.) Maybe I am not reading it right. When they used some a/c ductwork insulation-similar to Dynamat- (from Lowe's) in conjuction with the paint, that did work real well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts