Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Hedman Elite's today and there are multiple sratched areas, scuffs etc. on each header, 3 spots each. The box or the outer wrapping of foam is not damaged but the plastic that wraps each header is, so that tells me that it was probably done at the factory.

Should I send back to JEGS or is there some acceptable way of touching these areas up ?

This is the first set of coated headers I ever bought in 30 years of working on cars..

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
Tom, if there not that bad, might as well stick 'em in the car. They will likely get banged-up during the install anyway...but its your call, they are expensive.

Quick tip...tape up the tubes with duct tape, especially all the bend right off the flanges as they seem to get the brunt on it. Put multiple layers on for added protection. Peel off tape when done, and you should have no scratches (other than what's there).

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
If those scratches are visable when on car (you have to judge that) I would send them back. Thats me, someone else may not care. I want mine perfect out of the box and if I scratch them up, thats OK, sort of..NOT..... LOL
I would call the vender and tell them so they know. Also tell them you'll decide what to do.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Tom,
Call Jegs and they will give you a return authorization and ship you out another set.They will e mail the authorization pick up label for Fed Ex ground.If you think you might regret it later you might want to just send them back now.Good Luck
Vinny

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats one of the reasons I buy cheapies and have them coated locally. Got pics?
I hear ya Bob

I have the cheapies too, new in the box.....liked the ball and socket joint and the heavy gauge of these. Maybe I'll send them back and send out the cheapies.

I'll take some pics tomorrow.....

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would email the pics to Headman and ask for some advice.
Most of it depends on if the scratch breaks the coating or not.
I would say if it broke thru replace them now it will only get worse.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would email the pics to Headman and ask for some advice.
Most of it depends on if the scratch breaks the coating or not.
I would say if it broke thru replace them now it will only get worse.
A few spots it is down to the metal...:sad:

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Send them back. Once the rust starts on those spots it will grow like only rust can.

I intalled mine from the bottom up, with the plastic still on them. Worked out much easier that way. If you have the motor out, it's even easier to just lay them in first. And of course, don't use them to break in a new motor without a lot of fans, rich fuel and limitted timing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Headman Elite on my truck. I noticed that they are starting to get some rust spots near the heads. I called Headman, they told me to send them back and they would re-coat the headers. The headers do have a 5 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.