Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling my entire interior out in my 72 to give it a good cleaning and I want to replace my carpeting. How does the center console get removed? I removed the top metal plate and the piece with PRND21 on it. Under those pieces there were two large scews that I removed and that seemed to loosen it up the part under the dash but its still attached. Are there screws I can access inside of the console by opening the console top? When I purchsed the car I didn't notice until later that none of the keys they gave me open the console...its locked shut. :mad:

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are at least two small screws inside the console compartment that attatch to a bracket. There should be at least 3 - 4 screws that mounts the console to the shifter assembly to the trans tunnel. At the front, I believe there are at least 2 screws (one on either side of the console)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get a locked center console open if you don't have the key?

·
Registered
252 Posts
No ideas on the console lock, but I can verify that there are two screws inside the "locked" area that have to come out before the console will come free...

I though mine was locked too, until I pushed the button!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Auto...I would try drilling out the lock first, Also keep in mind that most all of the parts houses (Ground UP, NPD, etc.) sell replacement door and locks for the consoles.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got it open! It was never locked. It had 3 small washers jammed in the hinge area so the top would not push to the side. I fished them out with a dental pick and the door opened right up. I'm really glad I saw those washers before I did anything drastic!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts