Chevelles.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 1965 Chevelle with a powerglide. It has the massive chromed Aluminum center console. At one end is a lamp. I need to replace the lamp holder. I have a new lens and I found a place that has the bulbs but the bulb holder is shot. The plastic is brittle and one side of the holder is gone. Does anyone know if they make a replacement holder for the bulb with the snap in plastic case. Anyone improvise something that worked ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Lou,
If you google 65 Chevelle console harness, you will find the vendors that sell them, Ground Up, OPGI,etc. They have them for both automatics and manuals. However if that is all that is wrong with it I am sure you could retrofit a bulb holder into the console. Look on Summit, ebay or maybe even local auto parts. Doesnt even have to be for a 65 or a chevelle for that matter.

Reactions: 1943MB

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lou,
If you google 65 Chevelle console harness, you will find the vendors that sell them, Ground Up, OPGI,etc. They have them for both automatics and manuals. However if that is all that is wrong with it I am sure you could retrofit a bulb holder into the console. Look on Summit, ebay or maybe even local auto parts. Doesnt even have to be for a 65 or a chevelle for that matter.

I looked pretty much through everyones catalogs and web sites, as well as Ebay and can't find anyone that sells just the bulb holder and the bezzle. I guess I'm going to have to make something from Aluminum that will snap into place. Not something I really wanted to do. Need the holder for those bulbs sold at Johns classic cars. That might be a start. This is the first day searching so I'm not ready to give up yet. Don't need the complete harness. Harness just clips to it anyway.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Just to verify: Is the piece your looking to replace GM part #2986116 (part #5)? If so it is available for $15 for M/T thru www.Classicmuscle.com. I'm pretty sure that you can use the M/T harness and splice it into your A/T wiring.

Attachments

Reactions: 1943MB

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to verify: Is the piece your looking to replace GM part #2986116 (part #5)? If so it is available for $15 for M/T thru www.Classicmuscle.com. I'm pretty sure that you can use the M/T harness and splice it into your A/T wiring.
Here's photo's of all the pieces. I think I'm going to have to custom make something.

Lou

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to make something from Aluminum that will snap into place.
You can't make it out of metal as that would ground the circuit and blow the fuse. The whole point of the original piece is to isolate the clips on the wires that hold the bulb from the metal of the console. Also, if you short this circuit you also lose your taillights.

The reproduction harnesses are readily available and well made, but do not come with this plastic clip holder, you have to recycle a decent original.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can't make it out of metal as that would ground the circuit and blow the fuse. The whole point of the original piece is to isolate the clips on the wires that hold the bulb from the metal of the console. Also, if you short this circuit you also lose your taillights.

The reproduction harnesses are readily available and well made, but do not come with this plastic clip holder, you have to recycle a decent original.
I was going to cover it in electrical tape where it made contact, but I'll keep looking for something that doesn't require a lot of scratch building.

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
The lenses end up being very close to the bulb and the lenses do not tolerate long exposure to the heat the bulb can create so a larger hotter bulb would not be a good idea. A good alternative is to use an LED version of the original bulb. Plenty of light, no heat. I probably have a spare I could send you (I bought them in bulk for 3 cars' domes and consoles). I might have a spare plastic clip, I'd have to look. But the one you have looks basically all there and could be made to work. You just need to remove the wire clip by defeating the little metal tabs that hold it in and get a new or good used harness. I might have one of those too.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The lenses end up being very close to the bulb and the lenses do not tolerate long exposure to the heat the bulb can create so a larger hotter bulb would not be a good idea. A good alternative is to use an LED version of the original bulb. Plenty of light, no heat. I probably have a spare I could send you (I bought them in bulk for 3 cars' domes and consoles). I might have a spare plastic clip, I'd have to look. But the one you have looks basically all there and could be made to work. You just need to remove the wire clip by defeating the little metal tabs that hold it in and get a new or good used harness. I might have one of those too.
Hold on, I just bought a harness with the two clips. It's for 60's cars. 6 bucks, brand new. I'm going to try and rebuild the holder I have. It's not in bad shape. I'll pull out the old clip and rebuild the opposite side to accomodate the new clip. That way everything will be correct. There's not a lot of stress on anything so some plastic and my Dremel and some epoxy should do the trick as far as repairing the other side. Then I'll splice in the two wires into the old. Solder and shrink tube the connections. Let's see how that pans out. Thanks !!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the bulb holder repaired and with the new clips. I used a small piece of wood widthwise to box in the clip on the right in the photo. Stick is on inboard side and JB welded to the existing frame. Also added some JB weld at another broken point on the far right side. Some things you can actually do with JB weld. A man has to know his epoxies limitations. Anyway, all I need to do is splice it into the old wiring harness and pop it back into that chromed center console. I don't even want to think about the chroming cost. The only thing with more chrome is the bumpers. And would you believe it, the bulb still glows bright.

Thanks for all the help !!

Lou

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
Here's the bulb holder repaired and with the new clips. I used a small piece of wood widthwise to box in the clip on the right in the photo. Stick is on inboard side and JB welded to the existing frame. Also added some JB weld at another broken point on the far right side. Some things you can actually do with JB weld. A man has to know his epoxies limitations. Anyway, all I need to do is splice it into the old wiring harness and pop it back into that chromed center console. I don't even want to think about the chroming cost. The only thing with more chrome is the bumpers. And would you believe it, the bulb still glows bright.

Thanks for all the help !!

Lou
You'll need to remove the clip on the left and turn it 180 degrees. The wires have to both be in the center. There is no room for the wires on the sides.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'll need to remove the clip on the left and turn it 180 degrees. The wires have to both be in the center. There is no room for the wires on the sides.
Okay, thanks Rich, I see what you mean. It fits as is inside the console but I'm assuming the console tail end sits on top of the hump and the wires would interfere on that side. I modified it. Don't want to crush the wires.

Lou

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
Yep, you'd have a wire mashed right up against the body of the console. You don't want that.

If the tails of the connectors are threatening to touch each other you can put a small piece of cardboard between them or wrap them both in a bit of electrical tape.

The whole thing is pretty much a cluster of a design, things look more like afterthoughts than good planning or engineering.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, you'd have a wire mashed right up against the body of the console. You don't want that.

If the tails of the connectors are threatening to touch each other you can put a small piece of cardboard between them or wrap them both in a bit of electrical tape.

The whole thing is pretty much a cluster of a design, things look more like afterthoughts than good planning or engineering.
Not real sure how it was working in the design department at GM. Sounds like an interesting job. It's a perfect example of Darwins theory of evolution. Minimize re-inventing the wheel as much as possible. All in all doing what they did in a year was pretty amazing if you have any idea what they actually went through. Problem is, the more efficient and perfectly fitting everything is the uglier the car seems to get. Same goes for Architecture. The never ending battle and eventual compromise between the Engineers and the Designers.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
For future reference, if someone can't salvage their original part and can't find an original 64-65 console part to replace it, then as a substitute you can get a 66-67 console lens and cut the bulb holder portion out of it and make your own. Or do the same with a 64-67 dome light bezel, which is actually a little easier to work with than the console lens material (just be sure to remove all the chrome plating from the part you are going to use after you get it cut out).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts