Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had someone ask me this recently.I wanted to share this info I found in a Chevrolet Dealer Service Bulletin dated March 24.1970.

Example:A replacement engine block,Small or Big,stamped CE050012-

C=Chevrolet
L=Oldsmobile
K=Cadillac
B=Buick
P=Pontiac

E=Engine
T=Transmission,,used on Trans.obviously.

0=last digit of model year,1970.

50012=number of service engine,starting with 50000 to 79999 for all V-8's at Tonawanda plant.
Flint plant used 20000 to 49999 and 90000 to 99999 for all V-8's.
Upon completion of these numbers,Flint reused the same numbers with the letter 'A' in front of them to show later production.

This format applies to engines and Transmissions for years 1968-1975.Numbering system varies upon the model year of vehicle.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It's interesting that Chev. made that change. I never knew when it took place. In the early 60's it was possible to get a replacement shortblock assy. over the counter that had a correct code for the engine it replaced. An example is the 63 Corvette which used RE as the code for a 340HP and RF for the fuelie. In that the block assy's. were the same, with only the induction being different, Chevy serviced them with simply an R suffix and the installer could stamp an E or an F. Interestingly back then, the code was also stamped in the proper position so that the VIN # could be added to the pad as original. On one of my old cars that I bought with a replacement CE block, it was stamped more near the middle of the pad making proper VIN stamping impossible.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
This is great! I had one heck of a time finding out what the CE071495 code was, finally found out that the CE code was a replacement engine, but this additional info is really useful!

Thanks!

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project
All I need is time...and some $$$
"Tourist, go home! And take someone with you!"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.