Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm all thumbs with my recently inherited 69 chevelle 396.
The horn is real weak (low sound)?
is this caused by a bad/weak diaphram in the end horn unit, or the horn relay, or other item?
what should i replace?
my first post to the list!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
the horn itself probably
there should be two of them and one of them is probably not working
if it sounds low then the higher pitched one is probably not working
probably

·
Registered
221 Posts
sometimes the problem is as simple as the horn contacts and/or wiring ... after all, these items are rather old and susceptible to corrosion and such ...

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Unplug one horn at a time and check for any change in sound. That will help you identify a dud horn. Sometimes you can bring a horn back to life by turning the adjuster screw on it. Put a jumper from the battery to the horn for this and get ready to be startled when a dead horn comes back to life as you are turning the screw!!

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Please keep in mind you don't want to alter the settings of the horn adjustment screw too much. JWAGNER is on the right track, but I would make sure you mark the original position of the screw before trying to get the horn to "break loose". The reason being is the factory pre-set these, by adjusting the screw you are changing the amount of current drawn by the horn, which can be considerably more that what the horn relay was originally meant to handle. If you get it to work, try to "reset" back to the original if possible for long reliable life of horn(s) and horn relay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts