Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Guys please don't get mad, I know these are fighting words in most places...my buddies all tell me that my '69, and theirs', are grandfathered forever, and it's almost a God given right or guaranteed in the constitution to run stock exhaust, but I think the clean air lobby might just clean house some day with a poster child with respiratory trauma...coming after our "rods" next after they are done with the older '80's and early '90's cars that are not running clean. Do you think we will be putting catalytics in our dual exhaust systems someday, or is it a waste of time without O2 sensors and computers etc....'tis easy done, just not cheap...I'm gettin' ready to duck...R.B.

·
Registered
433 Posts
'Tis a thing of evil, I tells ya! A spawn of Satan himself!!!! :0

I will not slap catalytic converters on my Bu. Not gonna happen. I'm exempt from the clean air laws because my car was made in a time where it was not enforced. I wanna keep it that way. I want the muscle in my car. If the government wants to fight me, I will fight. Plus, as a smoker, I couldn't care less what my car puts out. I'm suckin' in worse daily and willingly

·
Registered
740 Posts
cats are great to get through emmisions nothing else
. Thats all i will use them for + they make my car sound like *@(#

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope the rest of the states get smart like WA. just did. I guess they figure there isn't enough old(pre-75)cars out there to really matter. wheeeeee, no more emissions for me..although my chevelle passed easily last year

------------------
Scott
1968 Chevelle
350/Th350 10 bolt 3.73

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you run a big enough monolith style cat it doesn't cost you any HP. But I agree they kill the sound of the car. So since they make the car sound bad I probably won't be putting them on my car anytime soon.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I guess I should stay out of this. Nah.
Note that the Dodge viper, Corvette, Z28, and some other 'noname' brand performance cars run pretty darn good with cat. converters. Also note that the mid 70s cars got 13-17 mpg without fouling the converters so I'd think putting a converter on the older cars would be possible without hurting power or reliability. I know when I drive down the road I can smell a polluting car a mile behind it and I'd rather my car didn't smell like that. Haven't tried the converters yet, but I might some day.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
In California, it is illegal to put a cat on a car not originally equipted with one. So even if someone wanted to it isn't allowed in CA.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
169 Posts
To take Pats' comment a little further, and this does apply to all of you with older cars that did not come with catalytic converters. It is very dangerous to install catalytic converters on a car that was not designed to have them. The problem comes from the fact that the cats generate so much heat that without an added heat shield to the underside of your floor pans you will set your carpet, under layment, and possibly the seats on fire! Not good for a restored ride. I think this is the reason that it is illegal in some states to add them.. At least is what the rumor mill has to say about it..

·
Registered
48 Posts
As a 18+ year smog tech in Ca, (now comfortably residing in Oregon) I can attest to the laws restricting the addition of a cat on non-cat cars. They are very restrictive on what TPTB will allow, right down to the tire size. I feel a cat could be installed on any vehicle, but the tuning (jetting, timing, and cat location) must be optimized for the cat to function correctly.

I also would not install a cat on a non-cat vehicle unless they "put a gun to my head" or threatened to take my right to drive it away. Just my 2¢ worth

[This message has been edited by mrthomas (edited 02-15-2000).]

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dear Guys...thanks for taking this seriously, once again I am extremely impressed by the knowledgeable people out there...I didn't just post the question to cause trouble, seriously, tongue not in cheek, I am trying to get a 502 together and will certainly use 3 inch stainless all the way...my local Speedy has these cats, I forget the dia, but they looked big last time I saw, maybe 3" probably for single exhaust, around 300 bucks Can each, and I figured may just as well put then in while I'm doin'it...never even considered the fire aspect...I love my country, but in Canada the gov't changes things with the stroke of a pen with impunity, not accustomed to the kind of resistance the freedom loving peoples of the US seem to bring...Thanks R.B.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Catatonic converters....

------------------
Scott, 20
Denton/Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu
May the force be with you..

·
Registered
622 Posts
I love my country, but FEAR my government.

Tree huggers need to stop driving, eating, using electricity, wearing clothes, and BREATHING as these are all detrimental to the earth.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.