Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Longacre Racing 78298 Digital Caster Camber gage or anything similar?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I don't use that one. But I do use this one
Longacre Caster Camber Gauge 78260
Been using them since I was a kid back in the 70's when my Dad was into oval track racing. Easy to use and after a little practice you can get the front end dialed in real well. I also use the Longacre Racing Toe Plates.
Longacre Deluxe Toe Plates 79505)

I dialed in my Chevelle so well with these tools that when I took it to a very well respected alignment shop that specializes in classic cars the owner who worked on it said it was so good he couldn't make it any better.

Reactions: jeffs68

·
Registered
208 Posts
Boy, those bring back memories. I started doing alignment work in 1969 at a Firestone dealer in Chicago. We were using a Bear magnetic camber/caster gauge very similar to the 78260.

They worked then and they should still work today. The best advise I can give you if using this type of setup is to make sure you roll the car back and forth, bounce it up and down to be sure there is no "preload" on the suspension, and the floor is level, both ways. We had turntables and a level alignment pit to work in. I have used a handful of oil dri under the front tires to give the tires a bit of slip to make sure the readings you get are accurate as possible.

I also advise you go see a "real" alignment shop to double check your settings. Tires are too expensive to let them wear out too fast.

·
Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
855 Posts
I've used the 78260 since the late 90's on dirt track cars and my Chevelle, easy to use just follow directions. Like TimP said be sure to roll it out and work on a level surface.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Another tip I learned after using these tools for so long. I use two 12"x12" Vinyl Floor Tiles with the shiny sides facing each other with a light coat of oil on them under the front tires. Kind of a poor man's turntable. Works surprising well.

Reactions: TimP

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
i have that guage along with the turn table. works great. you can use the tile ,it works. a big degree wheel oiled up works pretty well to turn your tires the right amount for castor setting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts