Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what "WCFB" stands for? This was a version of the Carter carburetor before the "AFB" (which I think stands for aluminum four barrel)

Im trying to help solve a friendly arguement over this and thought I would try the Team Chevelle experts.

I searched all over and can't find the answer.

So far, the discussion has brought out these possibilities:

WCFB-white cast four barrel
WCFB-wrought cast four barrel
WCFB-Will Carter four barrel

Thanks in advance,

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

http://members.spree.com/entertainment/mr409/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Bob,
I see you have been over on Chevytalk. I was told years and years ago it stood for Wrought Cast Four Barrell. When that ques came up, I looked through all my old Carter stuff, couldn't find any confirmation.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
330 Posts
WCFB: White Cast Four Barrel, for the metal used for the mainbody and top castings, white (or pot) metal. BTW, please pay particular attention to the tightening torques for these white metal carb pieces, the metal will distort very easily when over-tightened. (48 in/lbs maximum, that's 4 ft/lbs, no more, on all fasteners.

AFB: Aluminum Four Barrel, made of aluminum.

AVS: Air Valve Secondary, for the secondary air brake type difference from the AFB.

TQ: Thermo-Quad, a really bad design spread bore carb with easily meltable thermo-plastic main body.

That's the way it is, folks, nothing different. Names directly from Carter Carbuerettor Company.

(I am a former Holley factory tech).

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 12-31-1999).]

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DZAUTO:
Bob,
I see you have been over on Chevytalk. I was told years and years ago it stood for Wrought Cast Four Barrell. When that ques came up, I looked through all my old Carter stuff, couldn't find any confirmation.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right. That's where it started. Now it's at my 348/409 Yahoo club.
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/the348409club

And the argument continues...

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

http://members.spree.com/entertainment/mr409/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Ignition Man,

Good info!

But I disagree with the WCFB info - it stands for Will Carter Four Bore. First used on a '52 Buick straight eight - weighed 18 pounds!

Will Carter was the founder of the company in I believe 1909 - fell into the business "so to speak".

I too am a Factory guy. But I will leave the company name private - since I am still there.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IgnitionMan:
WCFB: White Cast Four Barrel, for the metal used for the mainbody and top castings, white (or pot) metal. BTW, please pay particular attention to the tightening torques for these white metal carb pieces, the metal will distort very easily when over-tightened. (48 in/lbs maximum, that's 4 ft/lbs, no more, on all fasteners.

AFB: Aluminum Four Barrel, made of aluminum.

AVS: Air Valve Secondary, for the secondary air brake type difference from the AFB.

TQ: Thermo-Quad, a really bad design spread bore carb with easily meltable thermo-plastic main body.

That's the way it is, folks, nothing different. Names directly from Carter Carbuerettor Company.

(I am a former Holley factory tech).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
bowtie ollie
www.chevytalk.com

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Well DZ that's it, you got a contender for the top wizard now!!

Ignitionman, TQ Junk?? Man I put two pieces of junk together in 1978 ( TQ and Holley Strip) and got the thing to scream. Dum luck again I guess. ( That's a Chinese dish)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes, WILLARD CARTER was the owner of the Carter Carburettor Company, but this particular carb wasn't named after him, but for the metal it was made of.

Sorry, everybody, it always has been, and always will be, directly from Carter, and yes, for the earliest Buicks and every thing else, WHITE CAST FOUR BARREL, period, end of the confusion.

Call Carter, ask for the in-house carb historian, he will confirm-WHITE CAST FOUR BARREL=WCFB.

if we think about other carb "names" within the Carter line, why was the AFB named "Aluminum Four Barrel" and the AVS "Air Valve Secondary", "Thermo-Quad", and not for other Carter family members or employees? Simple, at the time, Carter named this carb after the metal, and the AFB was right behind it in development. Metal used, not personal names.

Road-test editor from Hot Rod Magazine in the late fifties started the mis-naming to Will Carter Four Barrel, in an article about an Oldsmobile. Still WRONG for the actual name.

You learn the real truths when that company is a close competitor to yours. Employees talk between companies. Questions and secrets are traded and answers are found out. You may insist on calling it incorrect names or whatever you wish, but the real one is known to lots of us, White Cast Four Barrel.

Gene, the TQ is a problem prone design, with the center costing more than a complete carb back when they were new and being used. Makes it junk in my book. Had potential, but needed a metal body.

I have one on my '83 Dodge Maxi-Van, 360, and it works well, but needed a new center section when I bought the thing. Now, my neighbor comes and borrows the carb when he has to pass an emissions test, because his won't. I kinda have the emissions pass carb for the neighborhood.

BTW, one of the fastest small blocks I ever saw in the mid seventies had an Edelbrock TR1 tunnel ram and two Q-jets, the Corvette it was in screamed.

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 01-01-2000).]

·
Registered
994 Posts
As I remember from auto shop, WAY to many years ago, WCFB = White Cast Four Barrel.
This stuck in my mind because the shop teacher said that White Cast metal is the only metal that could not be welded.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Geez Dave I bought the damn TQ from a speed shop cause I thought the plastic center/fuel bowl was cool. Also bought a kit with jets and rods and it was ridiculously to swap out rods and tune. Maybe that's why the old Lt1 clone loved the open plenum Holley street and the very cool looking Carter, I had it dialed in mint by lots of trail and error. Time was in abundance at 17! But I digress...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Gene, heat was the biggest enemy of the TQ. If the engine was lean for any reason, the plastic main body would just start to erode and disintegrate. The main bodies really aren't fixable as the Q-jets are, and at the time, center sections were about ten bucks more than a whole replacement carb. I have seen some of them that were stout performers and lived, but not many, and it took lots of time to dial them in.

I always thought that if there was a plastic center section, it should have been made of CLEAR plastic. Think of how cool that would have been!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.