Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the carpet in my 1970 Chevelle (thanks to a bad heater core). I pulled the old carpet and in addition to the factory tar insulation on the floor, there was jute insulation padding on top of the tar sections in both the rear seat foot well area and front seat foot wells going up the firewall to the end of the carpet. This is in addition to the jute padding permanently attached to the back of the carpet.

I can't find anything in the assembly manual or a thread in the forum to determine if this middle layer of jute is factory correct or something a previous owner added. Is the middle layer correct, is it needed, and where can you buy it? (I don't see it on any of the major website like NPD, Ground Up, Year One, etc., only the aftermarket stuff like Dynaliner.)

Also, I scrapped off all the old tar insulation. There was extra dum-dum-like material around each floor plug. Is this just regular 3M dum-dum/window butyl tape sealant or something else? I assume I should replace it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate it. Is this jute insulation something people add on their own for improved insulation or was this middle layer tar/jute/carpet with insulation) done at the factory?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I don't think that there was an option for extra insulation from the factory. Most likely, with a 44 year old car, somebody at some point added insulation. Or... Somebody replaced the carpet and the old insulation was stuck to the tar, they left it and put the new carpet over it.
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was definitely extra insulation--the carpet still had its insulation attached, and the extra pieces were jute and different from the insulation attached to the carpet which looks like the foam used on home carpet padding. The jute pieces looked precut, not cut by hand, because there were still parts that had notches that look like they are for areas to be cut/torn out. There were two jute pieces--one that covered both front floorwells and went over the front of the transmission hump in front of the shifter, and the other that covered the rear floor wells and went over the trans hump. Neither piece went under the bucket seats.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was definitely extra insulation--the carpet still had its insulation attached, and the extra pieces were jute, different from the insulation attached to the carpet (which looks like the foam used on home carpet padding) and were not stuck to the original tar insulation. The jute pieces looked precut, not cut by hand, because there were still parts that had notches that look like they are for areas to be cut/torn out. There were two jute pieces--one that covered both front floorwells and went over the front of the transmission hump in front of the shifter, and the other that covered the rear floor wells and went over the trans hump. Neither piece went under the bucket seats. You're probably right--a previous owner probably added the jute insulation.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Should be able to find a trim shop near you if you need some jute. They have it in big rolls and should sell you what you need. Way cheaper. You'll probably need some on hump, a problem area where carpet is usually a little too big. Or save some of the existing if you don't double it up like the previous owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts