Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 64 ElCamino 4 speed, no console, and am ready to install the carpet.
Exactly how does it seal around the shifter? My first thought was to lay the carpet and padding in (in hot weather to make it soften), cut out the hole for the shifter, put on the rubber shift boot, then screw down the chrome ring over top of the rubber boot. BUT - wouldn't this let water (like spray while driving in rain) soak into the carpet which is below the boot???
Does the rubber boot go against the floorpan or on top of the carpet?

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Seems to me that if you put the rubber boot UNDER the carpet and the metal bezel on top of the carpet, you would get the sealing that you need. Of course, the trimming of the carpet to match the bezel would have to be precise. Maybe even a little silicone seal on the boot would help if the floor is not smooth.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
If the car is a daily driver, you might want to worry about this... my 4 spd summer driver isn't sealed - just carpet over the hole. I have been caught in some heavy rains - even up to 70mph, there wasn't moisture in that area - the trans seems to block virtually all of the water on my 69 velle.

------------------
Bow_Tied
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396/ 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back."
TC Member#1276 [email protected]

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am not sure about this, but isn't there a upper and lower rubber boot on the shifter?

------------------
Brian TC#1092, ACES#4374
My Garage
---------------------------------------------------------
1964 Malibu SS Convertible (Restored Garage Queen)
1965 El Camino (Current project)
1974 Midget (Next project, maybe)
1981 Corvette (Daily driver)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have wondered that too, but I haven't seen one. Anyone know of a "lower boot" ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts