Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to install carpet in my son's 67 chevelle. It is molded carpet. Does any one have any tips? Also do you need to glue down? Where to start and will it need trimming? Thanks Slime

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have heard the carpets will not fit right without the underlay. I am close to doing my 67 as well. I have the underlay but will not put it down until absolutely needed, since it is the tar type. I test fitted the carpet and it was ok after it set for and the wrinkles worked out some, even without the underlay down.
jmw

[This message has been edited by jmw (edited 11-08-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Slime when you take the old out nows the time to check floor pans and repaint. Also replace the carpet underlay if needed.The only thing with the new carpet to remember is after you cut it its cut. Always make a small slit instead of holes works better and easer to hide mistakes.You should lay the carpet in place for a couple of days before you cut it to take out any wrinkles .You should not need to glue it.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey Slime,
I recently put the molded carpet in my '67. Before I did, I laid down that heat shield stuff first. (Don't remember what it's called) That was a pain to get down right, but ended up good. I laid the carpet in and just let it sit for a couple days. When I went to install it, it had practically installed itself! It laid right into the pan and over the hump...looked great. It had the jute attached, trimming was minimal and fit was good. Got it from OPG. I didn't glue it down...the seats, shifter and moldings hold it well. When trimming, be sure to leave extra...fit...then trim again. It's always better to have too much than too little. Good Luck!

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction"
Gold #43
I've heard that the memory is the second thing to go.
I don't remember what the first thing is!?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't know where you live but only do it if its warm. I guess what I mean is the warmer the carpet is the better it will go in. I installed carpet for 8 years in the northeast and still do it on the side. The winter months were awful for installs and in the summer the carpet was like butter and in would go in so nice and never have a problem. The warmer the carpet is the easier it is to install. Don't even waster your time if its cool. At least in houses you can stretch it in so its less of a issue. In a car where you are just pretty much laying it in it MUST be warm.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
A veriable temp heat gun will help but the ultimate is go barrow a steamer it'll make life alot easier; Good Luck, L89

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.