Team Chevelle banner

Careful here on this seller of 70 Chevelle

1711 36
I called and asked if documentation, build sheet, protect o plate. Anything to confirm an SS. He said it’s in the VIN.. I said not true.. he acted dumbfounded and said he’d call back. That was yesterday.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light
  • Helpful
Reactions: RAIDER SS
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Hahahaha okay I'll drop 1MILLION DOLLARS down on a car that shows no documentation... Nice looking 40K car at best... I better hurry the auction ends in a day...

• Haha
Reactions: shovelrick

· Gold Founding Member
47,520 Posts
Hahahaha okay I'll drop 1MILLION DOLLARS down on a car that shows no documentation... Nice looking 40K car at best... I better hurry the auction ends in a day...
Where are you seeing 1MILLION DOLLARS ?

Pretty nice looking 70

VIN 136370B131280

· Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
10,980 Posts
I contacted this guy about a year ago about a Corvette he had for sale. I swear the car was one of the ones I owned and sold in 1985. I didn't have the Vin # but the car was equipped just like mine was. He even had a video of it on the road and it brought back memories. I asked if he would check a few things on the car and I never heard back from him.

· Registered
210 Posts
I would agree the floors and tunnel don't look good. If I had to guess it is probably a clone because of no documentation and things like a reproduction dash. An original SS would most likely still have it's original dash unless it went missing for some reason. It would be a real bad idea to buy something like that without checking it out in person or have someone check it for you.

· Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
10,980 Posts
Is it me or do the floor pans look like they've been replaced? Trans tunnel also?
They were definitely replaced along with the trunk pan and a half ass job at that. It looks like they used two pans one for each side instead of the full floor pan and they also have the stamped in oval floor plugs not the separate ones like they came from the factory. You can see all around the edges of the floor pans even along the tunnel where the old floor still is and globes of crap to hide the cut lines. Spent all that money and put a aftermarket cigarette lighter in it. One thing you see in a lot of cars is that chalky looking emergency brake release handle that sticks out like a sore thumb. Where did they get those mega-phone exhaust tips and the custom tailpipe hangers. It looks nice till you get into the nitty gritty of the car. That alone would make me step away.

· Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Where are you seeing 1MILLION DOLLARS ?

Pretty nice looking 70

VIN 136370B131280
My mistake saw all those zeros looked like a million. Okay.. I can accept making a mistake... thick skin here...

· Registered
80 Posts
It sure looks great at first sight, but I'd definitely want to have it checked out before dropping any coin on it. Patrick Glenn Nichols could find out if it's a real SS or not. There's a lot of great looking clones, tributes, recreations, fakes, or whatever you want to call them out there.

· Premium Member
982 Posts
Also, why is it that people won't or don't reinstall the flex plate/converter dust cover? I see this all the time. Just looks unfinished to me.
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't run a converter cover because I shaved the ears off my transmission for ease of removal and installation. Once you shave those ears off, you lose the two forward bolt holes for the cover. I also believe it may help to keep the converter cooler. Of course I would never do that to a matching numbers transmission.

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,225 Posts
I don't run a converter cover because I shaved the ears off my transmission for ease of removal and installation.
Dang - How often do you need to drop your transmission?

· Premium Member
982 Posts
Dang - How often do you need to drop your transmission?
That was something I did back in the 90's and I'm glad that I did, because I have had my transmission out about three more times since then for either a converter swap or a transmission rebuild. I can drop it straight out without interfering with the exhaust.

· Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,800 Posts
That was something I did back in the 90's and I'm glad that I did, because I have had my transmission out about three more times since then for either a converter swap or a transmission rebuild. I can drop it straight out without interfering with the exhaust.
Where are you located? I want to swap my T400 for the 2004R I recently bought 😁

· Premium Member
982 Posts
Where are you located? I want to swap my T400 for the 2004R I recently bought 😁
Awe, come on Rick, I have faith in you. You can do it. Not a big deal. The only thing that I don't like about pulling my transmission is that I always remove the hood for easy access to the upper bolts and that damn transmission modulator vacuum line clamp. Also, working underneath the car on the concrete floor isn't no picnic! I'm in SE Michigan, if you weren't so far away, I'd say bring it over and we would swap it out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts