Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I've had some issues with my recently acquired Chevelle in the past week. After driving it home and to and from work for a few days, the carburetor got clogged and it was hard to get running again. I initially thought I ran out of gas on the way to work as the car died on the main road about a mile away. Naturally I put in a few gallons, it started, but died after a minute or two when applying the throttle. Some knowledgeable folks at work offered their opinions. Fuel pump, carburetor etc. I took the fuel line off from the carb and the pump was definitely still pumping. So after cleaning the little filter inside the carb, putting a bit of carb cleaning additive in the tank, filling it up, spraying cleaner downer the throat, I got it running enough to make the 3.5 mile drive home.

So I notice during this whole ordeal that the carb is leaking a bit of gas. I was mulling whether to rebuild it or just buy a remanufactured Autoline one. So today I go out to start it and take it for a spin, it doesn't start. Out of maybe 8 tries, twice it picks up a little, with my foot on the gas it idles rough as hell and gray-white smoke comes out the exhaust when I throttle it. I pop the hood and see the carb is leaking more gas than it was last time. I look under the car and notice about a half cup of gas has spilled down onto the drive way in the time I was trying to start it.

It sounds to me like an exclusively fuel related issue but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
In your other post you said the car had sat for several years. You said the carb was clogged in both posts. It sounds like you need to drop the tank and flush it. As well as replace the fuel filter and flush the line while you are at it.

Steve R

1 - 2 of 2 Posts