Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 396 325 hp rochester number 07029207 below that is 0315
not sure to keep it on . Any decode help thanks

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
You can use that carb on any Chevy engine. The only difference between the small block and big block version is the jetting. You'll probably need to go up a couple of sizes on jets and rods.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
On my 396 325 hp rochester number 07029207 below that is 0315
not sure to keep it on . Any decode help thanks
===========================================

The 07029207 q-jet is stock factory for vett only 350/350hp with man trans.

BUT!!!!! GM also used that same 07029207 q-jet as a factory srv'c rep carb on many sbc/bbc perf applications including some 396/402 325hp,330hp, & 350hp motors.

It comes with prim fuel calibration setup best suited for sbc which is a little leaneven for a stock bbc back then .

When installing that carb as new srvc rep i had to replace sbc prim setup with bbc setup of approx 71 prim jet with 45B prim rods,but the BG sec rods are good for a street per sbc or bbc so they were ok.

Also had to remove the small .110" needle & seat in that carb & install a larger hi flow needle & seat because that carb ran dry on bbc's with the smaller needle & seat meant to feed a smaller 350 cid motor at higer rpm and not a larger bbc motor at higher rpm.

I still have 4-5 of those GM NOS 7029207 q-jet srv'c repl carb's in the original GM/AC DELCO boxes.

Someday i may try to sell them to people restoring cars that want a new carb where the 7029207 is correct for thier application and good thing is many judges are ok with proper gm scrv'c repl carbs so it would work out ok in that case too.

When GM still had priced on them they were going was for approx $800 each though i'd sell them for less then $800 each but wont give them away by no means either because i had to pay a fair amount to get them in the 1st place.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I forgot about the flow Scott. The .135 seat is needed for a BBC.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,793 Posts
The 0315 is the date code the carb was mfd. 31st day of 1975. That would mean it is a service replacement carb. The 9 in the PN is for the model year. The 702 is a '65 to '69 carb, so it's for a '69 model year engine. And as others said, for Vette 350/350, manual trans.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
I forgot about the flow Scott. The .135 seat is needed for a BBC.
====================

NP/LOL!!!!

Most sbc q's came with the .110" needle & seat and bbc q's got the marginal at best for perf setup ,125" needle & seat that would often run dry with moderate perf mods.

I had stock 396/325hp-350hp bbcs run dry in top end 3rd gear /top end rpm with 4spd when pushing them real hard .

Dont know why GM never used the .135" higher flow needle & seat especially in chevy high perf app's running q-jets like olds/caddys/pontiacs used esp for chevy's 396/350hp & 427/385hp-390hp & ls5 454 /365hp or 454/390hp in vette.

But in general if you run the larger high flow .135" needle & seat,a fresh even stock
mechf- pump or perf pump with max of 6-7psi,a lighter pump rod to ensure no pump arm float at higher rpm leading to fuel starvation ,and remove the small in carb fuel filter & install a lrg inline hi flow fuel filter and you will remidy most fuel starvation issue with a q-jet.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I bought the 7029207 brand new from a parts store for $85 in 1976. Then I sent it to Leroy Hoagland in IN with $15 to have it tweaked for IHRA Stock Eliminator. His directions were; set the idle and don't mess with it. Was cleaner idling and quicker once I adjusted the suspension to it. I never looked inside of it for 10 years. I even used it on my street car and got great hiway mileage with it in race form.

Steve O.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
I bought the 7029207 brand new from a parts store for $85 in 1976. Then I sent it to Leroy Hoagland in IN with $15 to have it tweaked for IHRA Stock Eliminator. His directions were; set the idle and don't mess with it. Was cleaner idling and quicker once I adjusted the suspension to it. I never looked inside of it for 10 years. I even used it on my street car and got great hiway mileage with it in race form.

Steve O.
========================

When setup right and main well q-jets can go 20-25yrs without any rbld etc,they are bullet proof in many cases.

I bought a NEW not rblt 7029207 srv'c repl in 1979 for my 69 chevelle 396 which 3 yrs later cost me $140 to rep the tired original carb. .

I ran that carb every yr from 1979 thur 2006 (approx 27yrs) without having to rbld it ordo any kind of repair at all.

It was stiill running well when i removed it in 2006/27yrs later because i finally got the original #'s matching carb restored/replated/rblt by Sean Murphy and installed it.

Over the past approx 40yrs i have been working on q-jet cars and often cam accross cars/motors with q-jets that5 were 20-25+ yrs old /100k-125k miles full of dirt on the outside but still running ok.

Reg sch'd airfilter & fuel filter replacement is important to getting that kind of time/miles out of any c arb let alone a q-jet.

A holley or Eddy afb type 4brl carb could not normally come close to that kind of reliability while performing decent for a mild to moderate lvl SBC or BBC street perf motor.

The bad rep/bad name the q-jet's got in the past like for example QUADRA BOG/QUADRA JUNK was from people that didn't understand how to properly tune/dial them in or deal with them in general.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts