Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm removing the fuel injection from my engine, going with a new carb and intake. My Engine is a 540 with AFR 325 heads and Straub 239/246 Hyd. roller. 2" headers 4l80/w 3000 stall. 95% street (fast street) only to the track a couple times a year. The plan is a Edelbrock 454-R intake and either a 950 Ultra XP or a Brawler 1050. I'm capable of tuning either carb, but prefer the one that is closes from the start. I thought about a 4500 intake with a 4150 carb for the extra plenum volume, but at 6,000 rpms or so is it needed? Thanks for any help, Rich

Reactions: 68Chevele

·
Registered
575 Posts
They are both good carbs and either would work . Those brawler carbs are tough to beat for the money . They have about everything as far as adjustability that the quick fuels have . Only dif there is about 30 percent more dough for the QF. The only thing I personally dont like about them is that many of the parts are made by our new great friends the Chinese. I've ran a few and loved them but didnt learn they were Chinese till after the purchase. I wont buy another one .
That 950 XP is of the highest quality.
AED can whip one up to your specification.
If you can tune em either carb will work .
On the intake ...to me if your only runnin to 6 grand why not run an air gap intake?
Awesome intake. And if you want more upstairs then set the carb on a 2 inch phenolic open spacer.
What gears are you running ?
Whats the car ?.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are both good carbs and either would work . Those brawler carbs are tough to beat for the money . They have about everything as far as adjustability that the quick fuels have . Only dif there is about 30 percent more dough for the QF. The only thing I personally dont like about them is that many of the parts are made by our new great friends the Chinese. I've ran a few and loved them but didnt learn they were Chinese till after the purchase. I wont buy another one .
That 950 XP is of the highest quality.
AED can whip one up to your specification.
If you can tune em either carb will work .
On the intake ...to me if your only runnin to 6 grand why not run an air gap intake?
Awesome intake. And if you want more upstairs then set the carb on a 2 inch phenolic open spacer.
What gears are you running ?
Whats the car ?.
3.54 gears. 67 Convertible. Air gap does not work well with this setup, I already have more torque than I can use. The plenum is too small on a air gap (in my opinion) on a 540 and gives up higher rpm horsepower. Things are different on a 4 1/2" bore motor. I have done lot's of things that worked well on 468, 496 combos, but the 540 needs air.

Reactions: Lew540

·
Registered
575 Posts
3.54 gears. 67 Convertible. Air gap does not work well with this setup, I already have more torque than I can use. The plenum is too small on a air gap (in my opinion) on a 540 and gives up higher rpm horsepower. Things are different on a 4 1/2" bore motor. I have done lot's of things that worked well on 468, 496 combos, but the 540 needs air.
Oh ok then maybe that 4500 is your winner then

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm runnin a dual plane on a 396 with 410 gear in a 66 caprice and I love it like that.
Thats just me though . Love torque and that car still pullin way up high too

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
Brawler is a pretty damned good Carb.
I have a QF 1050 annular on my 500 incher and is runs flawlessly on the street or at the track. I wouldn't be afraid to run that Brawler on the 540. Of course a 4500 would likely better for that combo I'd still not be opposed to the 4150 for your stated purpose.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hood clearance is not a problem as the intake I run now is 7 1/4 inch. I have a cowl induction hood. I was thinking of a 4500 intake only, they have carbs with both patterns now, so you can run a 4150 on a 4500 dominator flange with no adaptor. AN boosters sound good, they always worked for me.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Hello all. I'm removing the fuel injection from my engine, going with a new carb and intake. My Engine is a 540 with AFR 325 heads and Straub 239/246 Hyd. roller. 2" headers 4l80/w 3000 stall. 95% street (fast street) only to the track a couple times a year. The plan is a Edelbrock 454-R intake and either a 950 Ultra XP or a Brawler 1050. I'm capable of tuning either carb, but prefer the one that is closes from the start. I thought about a 4500 intake with a 4150 carb for the extra plenum volume, but at 6,000 rpms or so is it needed? Thanks for any help, Rich
My buddy with his 505 BBC a couple of years ago made 800hp with a 1000 Holley HP with A/D boosters on a dual plane intake. I for sure would go with the 1000 Brawler over the 950hp any day.

Reactions: Aml383

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I'm not a Brawler fan but I would go with the 4150 over a dominator in this instance. You definitely want a 1000 / 1050cfm and I too am partial to the AED brand. I personally haven't had issues with the Brawler. I think you are giving up to much in the Victor Jr 3500-7500 RPM range, though you have the lower end to spare Even Edelbrock states its optimized for 850cfm. I know you said no RPM Airgap dual plane, but I would look at it with a 1" or 2" open spacer, resulting in 6.2" or 7.2" intake manifold height. Making up for the 5.9" height on the Victor.

Anyone's thoughts on that?

Mike

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,432 Posts
My AED 1000 came off another members 700+hp 540 after he went EFI, Id be thinking at least 1000 cfm but I'm new to this, Oh his AED 1000 on my 489 puts out 600 ft lbs with a 231/239 cam, eddy RPM AG with 1" open spacer

·
Registered
575 Posts
My buddy with his 505 BBC a couple of years ago made 800hp with a 1000 Holley HP with A/D boosters on a dual plane intake. I for sure would go with the 1000 Brawler over the 950hp any day.
I've got a 750 DP brawler that I ran on a 350 .
Ended up buying a proform body with anular boosters for it and ran that. Brawler has bleeds everywhere other than emulsion tube .
Very versatile carb . I just wont buy one again because I found out it's chinesium ware .
Thats a wrap for this cowboy.
Just bought a 1000 cfm with anular boosters from AED for a current sbc stroker we're building .

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
I've got a 750 DP brawler that I ran on a 350 .
Ended up buying a proform body with anular boosters for it and ran that. Brawler has bleeds everywhere other than emulsion tube .
Very versatile carb . I just wont buy one again because I found out it's chinesium ware .
Thats a wrap for this cowboy.
Just bought a 1000 cfm with anular boosters from AED for a current sbc stroker we're building .
God knows where Holley builds their stuff.

·
Registered
575 Posts
God knows where Holley builds their stuff.
Well from what I've gathered the brawler in particular has alot of chinesium in it and most other models are all home grown.
Who knows anymore man.
Shucks ac delco let's there name go on crap nowadays. For years what ever I bought wheather it was for chevy or Drof or mopar I ALLWAYS bought real deal. Ac delco motocraft whatever. Now you may as well throw it to the wind because everyone is a sell out and on the take in the tank lol Theres still good parts obviously but it aint like it was thats for sure !
.ok enough of that . This guys on here tryin to get advice about a carb and intake lol

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
I have a Holley that has "Japan" cast into the main body above the base plate inside the barrels. I do know that QF does use some Pro form main bodies.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts