Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just re-installed my 396 after replacing the rear main,while it was out I jetted my carb down from 71/80 to 69/78 because car was way too rich. Also changed powervalve. Now it idles worse and bogs when I open her up. Does it just need more tuning or what?

------------------

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
big yellow
did you put the same number power valve back in your carb?also what carb ya have there? I will get back to you on this. as I love to play with carbs 67rat member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 07-19-99).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The carb is a Holley 750 double pumper. I went w/ a lower no. power valve also. I think it was a 5.5.

------------------

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
big yellow
I would put the same number power valve in that you had before the problem.this could be It.to pinpoint the exact power valve needed put a vacuum gauge on the manifold vacuum port take your reading at idle(in gear for automatic)cut this reading in half, thats the number power valve ya need.heres some other things to try,looking at the carb from the bottem.look at the secondary throats with the plates open,you should see small vertical slots. these are fuel transfer slots, now let the plates close. on the base plate there is a adjusting screw,adjust the plates at idle position so you can see about 1/16 of the slots.this will make your air/feul mixture screws on the metering block more precise.I dont think your new size jets will cause this problem.you might want to try 1 or 2 size bigger primary squirter. keep going bigger till ya get a puff of black fuel smoke from exaust than drop a number in squirter size.also on your pump levers adjust the adjuster so it just touches the lower pump lever that activates the exell pump.also big -yellow make sure that your metering block gasket matches both the carb and metering block, maybe the exell pump is blocked by the gasket.this happened to me.some gaskets can be put in backwards.I had a set like this .what I try to do with a carb is make all fuel transitions smooth from idle to wideopen.well hope this helps. good luck.I was set strait on the power valve issue by the tech team members after a 18 year brian fizzle.good luck,man 67rat member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 07-20-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.