Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 Chevelle, 350/350 2 barrel. When cold, I start the vehicle and it continues to rev at a high idle even when warm. I noticed a copper color disc on the side of the carb where the accelerator cable attaches and turned it clockwise and restarted the car. Idle was back to normal. Is this the "butterfly" valve? What does it do? Why is it sticking? Is there an easy fix? Thanks for all responses concerning this subject!!!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
am i not mistaken guys would this be his manual choke that is sticking? may have to just clean it up

·
Registered
738 Posts
Go to your local parts house and buy a can of 'Gumout' carburator cleaner. With the car running and air cleaner removed, spray the inside of the carb thoroughly. It will try to snuff out your engine while it is running so just give it some gas with your free hand to keep it running.

Next, turn off the engine and peer into the carburator with the throttle blades fully opened. If you still see some varnish build-up, go another round or two with the Gumout. That should take care of any sticking choke or throttle valves. And on that old of a carburator, you should notice better initial throttle performance once it has be de-gummed.

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.