Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out here? I have a 69 chevelle with an old style edelbrock tunnel ram on it. When I bought the car a few years ago it had a hole in the hood for the carbs but I've since changed hoods and went with a harwood 4.5 inch fiberglass hood. With the spacers under the carbs the hood is hiting the air cleaner in the front. I want to know if there is any advantage or disadvantage to running with the spacers or without because I'm thinking about just taking them off so the hood will clear. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
How tall are the spacers? You may be able to mill enough off the actual manifold or the spacer if it is just slightly touching.

If it is a simple spacer you will lose a bit of top end HP and gain a bit of low end torque when you remove the spacer.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
Ditto on why do you need spacers if you have a tunnel ram
?? BTW are you also not running air cleaners to get the setup to fit under the hood? The reason I ask is my pros treet is gonna start with a tunnel ram 496 until I build a Blown 540(lotsa dough
) and was wondering if the setup would fit under the hood. Back to the question I think you could lose the spacers. Good Luck

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
My Favorite
There are two theories to arguing with women.... Neither one works!

[This message has been edited by ACE841 (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I would take them off and forget about them. My roommate has used every spacer he could find and it has made no difference at the track. From what I have read, some spacers may help a particular engine, but each engine will respond differently. Some engines will gain power, while others will lose power, still others will not see a difference. The only way to know for sure is to run different ones back to back. Unless you are in a position to do extensive testing I wouldn't bother with spacers, especially in your case where you need the clearance.

Steve R.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Maybe some help but my 68 with a 511 ran slower with a 1" spacer ontop of Weiand Team G. I know this is fizzy logic but I would guess the tunnel ram doesn't need it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
From everything I have read, they say spacers are quirky. Some work some don't you just have to try and see what works on your engine. The is no "magic bullet" answer on this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.