Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 396 that I will be installing in my 66ss and I would like to know if using a carb spacer would be a benifit. I am putting a holley 3310 and a stealth intake on it. Is this a good idea? What about the K&N stubstack? Also I am hoping that I will be able to use the stock hood, Are there any clearance problems with either of these parts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hood clearance is a bit on the tight side on 66&67 chevelle big blocks. My 67 is the same hood clearance dimension as the 66 I believe. With the Edelbrock Performer, Qjet, and 4" air cleaner element it just touches the hood insulation. I could not even use the half inch thick phenolic insulator that came with my Carburetor Shop carb. Also had to purchase an original GM 14" air filter base to make it work because they drop down around the carb so far and lower the top of the air filter. These original GM 14" air filter assemblys actually flow very well. They drop much lower than the after market stuff. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got a '70 SS with and SS hood (without the cowl induction flapper). Underneath this is a Performer RPM intake, a 4150 Holley carb, and a 3X14" K&N filter. The top of the air filter almost touches the hood. I won't be able to put on a 1" carb spacer until I can come across a 2" K&N filter. Not sure if this is applicable to your problem, but I hope the info helps.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The stub stack has no affect on hood clearence as it sits down in the carb.According to K&N it is good for 28 extra CFM.I have run my engine with out and with it ,it definitely runs better with...FRED

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. now that clearance is a factor, can someone tell me about the performance qualities of these items?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.