Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys
Hopping for some help here i got a 68 chevelle with a 396 and just started and i am building a new 396 and looking for whats the best carb to run on this motor any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Benn68Chevelle

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Check out the Holley street avenger carbs. Good carbs but they do require moderate tuning to get them to run right out of the box. The edelbrock performer carbs run great out of the box and hardly require any tuning for just a street driver.

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
I was gonna say Avenger also, but never had to really tune any of the several that I've owned.

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
770 would be all that you will ever need.

·
Banned
2,875 Posts
I'm runnin a holley 950 holley on mine . Swallows it right up. Started with a 750 . Put a 950 on it.
Had to do some tuning on it but it feels like 20 more torque and power

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The new street avengers come with a strange tune out of the box. Finding an old 3310 780 vacuum secondary would be the best. Otherwise I would choose a quick fuel/brawler 750, and send it to JMarkaudio for calibration. It will be put together by a child at holley. What's coming out of there the past year, you would not believe.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My 396 has a Holley 4150 dbl pumper, mechanical secondary's, manual choke. 700cfms and I have a 4 speed .
When you put the pedal down its all go and no hesitation. I think it's sized just right for a street car. Easy to work on and adjust.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Guys it's been almost 14 years since the original post. Something tells me he probably got it sorted out by now :unsure:

Reactions: William Hennke
1 - 14 of 14 Posts