Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Chevelle with a 307/2bbl and a 2pd powerglide. Motor is completely stock with 70K on it. I would like to convert it to a 4bbl setup. I have gotten many opinions around here and many are contradictory. I would like some "expert" advice from some chevelle nuts. I am considering an Edelbrock 600cfm carm with an Edelbrock Performer intake. Any opinions? Thanks in advance for the help!

Fred

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I'm far from an expert, but here's my $.20 worth....My personal preferences for your 307 would be a Holley 600 cfm or Carter/Edelbrock 625 cfm (Summit lists the Carter as 600 on manual choke & 625 on electric choke). I lean a little more toward the Carter for a smooth, non-leak streetable application out of the box & day in-day out(Note:Edelbrock carbs are basically the same as the Carter). Both the Holley & Carter are vacuum secondaries so they should work good with the "glide"(kick-down, etc.). I also prefer a dual plane manifold like the Performer RPM (for square bore carbs I suggest)or a Weiand Stealth. These provide good low-end & mid-range power vs. a single plane "dump" manifold committed to high RPM. Holley also has a 450 cfm carb that would work sweet on the 307, but it's kinda pricey compared to the other carbs I mentioned. You might consider contacting Holley &/or Carter (Federal Mogul owns Carter)for their recommendations on your specific setup. Fire back with what you end up with & how it works. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Riffers-
If you decide to go with a holley, Summit has a special. You can get a holley 600 vac. seconds w/ intake air cleaner and all gaskets and bolts for a special price. I believe the Edelbrock is something like 325 bucks and the Weiand is 300, they also offer Offy(I don't know how to spell the name) and one other company(Holley just checked the catalog). Basically you tell them engine size and which make of intake you would like and they send it out. For an extra 20 bucks you can get a 750 cfm carb.(But for a 307 I would stick with the 600) I spent the money for Edelbrock during the summer and got a Performer RPM and holley 600 for my 327, best 300 something bucks I've spent so far!
Website= www.summitracing.com
Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 03-10-99).]

·
Read Only
589 Posts
Fred,
Here's what I'm running on my 72 307 Malibu: Edelbrock Performer intake, Qjet from a 72 350 4bl, HEI, and Hooker Comp headers. Installation was a piece of cake and I didn't have to do anything to the Qjet but adjust the idle mixture. It runs real good for a 307. Email if you got any other questions.
Tino

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...here's what I did:
Installed a Edlebrock Performer intake and a n Edelbrock 600 carb. But a few problems reared their heads (Remember I am going from a stock 2bbl setup to this).
1. The throttle linkage on the carb is now on an angle from the throttle bracket the mounts underneath the coil on the intake. Is the 4bbl throttle bracket "longer" than the 2bbl bracket?
2. The kickdown is now not long enough to allow for travel. Is the 4bbl kickdown longer than the 2bbl?
3. The stock manual choke does not appear to fit/function with this setup as the mount on the intake is 90degrees off from what the 2bbl intake was.

Any assistance on this?

Thanks!
Fred

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,002 Posts
Fred,

You'll need a longer rod, the front half of the 4bbl is further forward than the the middle of the 2bbl.

Tom

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Fred, you'll have to buy the edelbrock electric choke kit. You can get it from summit too. Its about $30.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.