Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is having the engine from his 70 Chevelle 396 (4 speed, 350hp, non CA) rebuilt and the engine shop just called and told him the carb is from a 350. Anyone know what carbs work on this engine?

Second question, where's the best place to get one?

The car is all numbers matching (except the carb which is strange) so he wants original.

Thanks!

------------------
Rick Sutter
Member #383
'67 Chevelle Super Sport
67SS.com

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rick
You didn't say what you have now on the 400. It might be OK on the 400 if it's at least 650 cfm. If you have to buy a new carb. I would recomend a Holley 750cfm double pumper, vacuum secondarys.

Patrick

·
Registered
313 Posts
I believe the correct carb for that engine will be a Quadrajet by Rochester. I know my all original Atlanta car had one.

I don't have a copy, but I think the book Chevrolet by the Numbers would give you the model number Qjets that would qualify as original equipment. There are a couple of Qjet experts on this site that may chime in with specifics that I don't know. There may even be a few NOS carbs out there, but be prepared to pay big bucks. You can probably buy a new Qjet out of the box that has all the original features, but will not have the correct numbers on it, if that is important.

John Walker

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
If you are asking what will work, the carb you have will work just fine. Just about all Q-jets are 750 cfm, some are 800's but I think they only came on Pontiacs and such. About the difference between your dads carb and the original would most likely be in the jets and metering rods.

If you are asking what is original I am sure someone will come up with the correct part number soon. Good luck.

Steve R.

·
Registered
39 Posts
RickS

The correct Carb. for your Dad's Chevelle SS 396 350hp is a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV # 7040204. This Carb is correct for 1970 Chevelle with a 396 (402) 350hp or 454 360hp. I've seen them on ebay from 50.00 - 150.00. You can also try www.carbsunlimited.com. They have a good selection of rebuilt Q-jet's

------------------
Texas SS
1970 SS 396 350HP
Unrestored & Almost Perfect
Houston, Texas
Take a Look http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Street/6320

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks TXSS! That's just what I needed!

The guy building the engine told him the current carb is causing a loss of power in some RPM band (I don't remember what he told me). Of course that might just be jets or rods but the big problem is the numbers don't match...and that's what he wants.

I should have said what carb(s) belong on this engine.

Thanks again guys!

------------------
Rick Sutter
Member #383
'67 Chevelle Super Sport
67SS.com

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good catch Gleek! TXSS' 70 is an automatic car.

------------------
Rick Sutter
Member #383
'67 Chevelle Super Sport
67SS.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.