Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever own a "Car Wash" I'm considering buying an individuals up and running Car Wash business. The present owner would like to move on to other ventures. Its a small three bay wash with a large bay for Trucks. It comes with an attached building with bathroom and room for up to 6 cars. Help a brother out with the pros and cons :) ... opinions?

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
SSX3: ok I had a friend that worked as a plumber at G.M. He bought one. It was used. 6 bays i think. nice clean. Then he bought another one. then he had one built. He said that was his retirement fund. Very little up keep. He used to go there after work spray down each stall. make sure everthing was nice & clean floors walls. trash takin out. Last itme I heard about him he had 5. retired early from G.M. And thats what he does now. Plus his G.M. retirement $$$$ does that help?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Most people want to just drive through a tunnel wash these days.
people are getting lazy. All the old coin operated do it yourself car washes are long gone here in the twin cities area of minneapolis. If there is any type of growth or redevelopment in the area you will not do well. especially if there is a gas station with a modern touchless car wash, or a full service car wash any where near. you might do ok depending on your location. but the real money to be made on these car washes happened years ago.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Most people want to just drive through a tunnel wash these days.
people are getting lazy. All the old coin operated do it yourself car washes are long gone here in the twin cities area of minneapolis. If there is any type of growth or redevelopment in the area you will not do well. especially if there is a gas station with a modern touchless car wash, or a full service car wash any where near. you might do ok depending on your location. but the real money to be made on these car washes happened years ago.
Look at the neighborhood, the case above is true for median income levels of 70K or more I would think. Look at the apartment communities and consider a hand wash full detail with the program to capture the "lazy" 70k incomes and up crowd.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know someone that owned one, this had a 5 bay and a seperate tunnel wash, the one thing he pointed out to me was it is a[B] cash[/B] business and you can cook the books anyway you want! Pretty sweet fruit when you pick it yourself and no one else taxes it!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This location is sitting off a major 4 lane street, within a block and half of an express way and major 4 way intersection. Across the street are 4 middle/lower apartment complexes. As far as car flow I'd estimate around 30k per day drive by based on Tulsa's metro planning data. Nearest bay wash competition is over 2 miles away and to the east. The nearest single automatic wash is off the corner on the other side of the street and another over 1.5 miles up the street. I live within a mile or so, I'll set up a meeting to check the books asap. So far whatcha ya'll think?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
How many rental properties??? ...drive thru and survey the Kinds of cars at the apartments? what is the average age of residents? Traffic flow can be useless if the right folks aren't there to keep clean cars.....you can have 50k driving thru to somewhere else and it wouldn't improve your odds.
Base your assessment on the apartment communities and their clientele!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
There is a couple I know that own a car wash and a landromat(sp?). They like the car wash more because the time allowance is only a couple of minutes, where as the washer and dryers take 20 min. So the car wash brings them in more money.
I would like to purchase one myself one of these days.

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
does it have a "pet wash" bay on it so people can wash their dogs?
there are a few of those around here, and they always seem to have someone in there spraying fido down..

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
For heavens sake, fix the setting for the TIRE AND WHEEL CLEANER. EVERY CAR WASH I HAVE EVER BEEN TOO, this setting DOES NOT WORK.

I was thinking to myself the other day about the car wash I was at.

"Wally" I said to self
"yes" I said to myself
"How hard would it be to fix the TIRE AND WHEEL CLEANER SETTING?" I said to self
"I don't know, buy your own car wash and find out" I said to myself.

True story, I WAS just thinking the same thing the other day, buying a car wash. I know it can't be that "hard", the hardest part would be coming up with the money. I think it would be a good job for me when I retire from the Corps. I'm always at the car wash anyway, might as well make a job of it.

I'm sorry I robbed the post, but my opinion is to go for it. I would personally and thinking real hard of doing some investigating of my own for one down the street from me. It's always busy but, I have yet to see any "workers" there to ask about it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think it is a neat idea. However, after visiting the forum / website David posted about the true stories of ownership, I would think a little bit more about it. Theft is real problem, customer abuse, constant maintenance and attention, liability issues, just to name a few. I sure would like to see the books. Receivables are very important but must be weighed against the payables. If anyone knows what this type of business ownership really does produce I would be curious myself.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I would want to look into the issues involved with disposal of the sediment from the grease traps. I bet that is considered hazardous waste.

I'd look hard at ALL the environmental aspects of a car wash. I know they killed the mobile truck washing businesses around here. The runoff was considered hazardous and was not allowed to get into ground water tables or storm drains.

Randy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts