Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
I just hired one to haul a 72 Chevy 4x4 truck from Cali to Ga and so far not that impressed .They sent me an Email today and told me they almost booked a driver ,Im like, What the F!!k ,I dont want to hear almost .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't mind, who did you call? dealing with Ship a car direct..or state 2state...they said it would be about 2 to 3 day to find carrier and I had the same thoughts!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I ran into the same problem. All the shippers were actually just brokers and they try real hard to sell you. So you don't know who is actually hauling your car. Carriers like Reliable are different, they own their trucks and hire their own drivers. I tried to hire them but the wait was six weeks from Cali to Idaho so I rented an enclosed trailer and hauled it myself. Fortunately I have a diesel pickup, so it was a fun trip with less stress worrying about some unknown driver hired by an unknown broker. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,679 Posts
:cool: Many of these "auto shippers" are not really shippers as such. They are more like contractors, they look for empty space on car transporters and then sell your "job" to those drivers. You never really know what sort of quality/service you'll end up with (open transport. Serial killer driver, etc.). Most of us recall when an independent driver got lost and rolled his rig (as well as a '68 Beaumont and two other classic cars) into a ravine!!!

Do a great deal of research. Find a transporter that does NOT subcontract and has plenty of insurance.

I live in St. Paul, MN and I bought my 'Bu from a guy in Johnson City, TN. I went and got her and drove her home (FUN TRIP). 2,000 miles round trip, but it was worth it. I didn't compare costs, but I was far happier doing the driving.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I used Passport when I shipped my Chevelle. They are a shipper not a broker. It's one enclosed truck from pickup to dropoff. You can track your car online while it is enroute. It's not cheap, but it was worth it to me. This time of year your car can hit salt on an open truck, something to keep in mind.

https://www.passporttransport.com/

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
Enclosed Auto Transport does a lot for TC members. He advertises here and can be found with a simple sarch.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just had a car shipped from Scottsdale, AZ to Seattle via Reliable. These are the guys that Barrett Jackson use. $1800 but I got the car in one piece. Had to wait a while and the tracking info was non existent. Better later than never. I did get an 8 hour heads up call before delivery and they had great trucks.
Al

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
I posted my truck on U Ship and then the offers started coming in ,I used Move Wheels out of Florida which as said by others is just a broker .My truck is now on its way to Ga .

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
Well I thought my truck was on the way ,the driver decided to jack up the price and the dispatch put my truck on hold ,now they want $200 more than we agreed to on the contract .So now I am searching for another carrier .

·
Banned
4,739 Posts
I bought a car from a seller in MN that arranged transport with Amazing Rides LLC. based in IL

About 1200 miles to TX and arrived in six days from time my funds cleared.

They used a 3 car 5th wheel open trailer pulled by a late model diesel pick-up. Driver called me each day on the road with progress.

$600 Total...no broker involved (about $.50 per mile. ) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I don't recommend these guys, hired by a broker. Took five weeks to deliver a car from CA to Ia, and no answers to the whereabouts in-between. Driver's English vocabulary was extremely limited. There were some very high end cars on the load.

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
Years ago a friend wanted to get into the transport business. I check into what they call "hot shots"... it's a 3 car hauler on a heavy pickup. I crunched the numbers and there was no way I could see to make it work.

When I see someone say $ .50/mi I just can't see how they make that work. No wonder the brokers are all over, I can see those people doing anything just to keep the loads full so they can make all the payments. Maybe things have changed over the years, but that's one business idea I'm pretty glad I passed on.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I used Reliable to have my 70SS shipped from Wisconsin to PA. I think it was $1200 but it was stress free. They guys cost a little ore but in my opinion are some of the best out there. Their trucks are amazing , they treat your car like it is there own and the driver was very accommodating to my schedule. Don't just do one of those U ship things, bunch of crooks on there.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
My truck was finally delivered yesterday ,DONT use Move Wheels ,I made sure to tell them real loud that we had a contract and I would not pay a penny more than we agreed to and I didnt .The driver was able to pick up my truck before they could cancel him out and they had agreed that he would get $1200 on delivery and the broker planned to charge me on the other end even though our contract was for $1200 total.The broker lost on that deal ,the driver got his .

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You learned the hard way about Uship and these brokers. I have had one success with Uship right when they started out and multiple failures since. Drivers fell off the face of the earth apparently. I tried Uship again recently to move a cheap car I bought for my daughter at an auction. Driver took payment and never responded. I got my money back but it cost me a week of storage at $20 a day and I had to go pick it up myself with my truck 700 miles each way.

Passport is now my go to for enclosed for nice cars I care about. United road is my go to broker for open for cheap cars I'm not worried about. I might still give Uship a shot but have very low expectations.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Enclosed Auto Transport does a lot for TC members. He advertises here and can be found with a simple sarch.
Call Jim 260-804-6695. Team Chevelle vendor, good luck!!
Thanks,

I have been a member here since 2012 and have hauled cars for a few folks here.

If you need a car transported:

The best thing to do is do it yourself ...:thumbsup:

Drive or fly out & get it - if that is not possible hire someone to do it the way you would.

Someone you can talk to directly on the phone.

That is not an auto transport broker.

Uship is a broker board - they charge 15% of the transport cost to act as a go between.
Most of the bidders on loads are auto transport brokers who also take a cut.

What is left for the hauler is 20% to 25% of the transport bid price which is below cost
to begin with .... :clonk:

Every day I talk on the phone with folks about transport - what I recommend they do does not
involve me 90% of the time - it is advice based on 12 years doing this & what their needs are.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
if you're still looking I can put you in contact with the guy that brought my Chevelle from California to Missouri for me. We've become friends and I'd let him haul my Chevelle, or anything else for that matter, anytime. He was on time, reasonable, and easy to reach when I wanted to talk to him. I've used him since for other pick ups and have been happy each time...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts