Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has a great car show plaque/sign detailing what’s been done to the vehicle? Where to you design and buy such a thing?? I see them all over, I suppose I could make one? I’ve seen some really great ones that actually go under the front tire so they don’t blow over, some appear to be Plexiglas, see through, etc. Where are folks getting these things?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hit up a local sign shop. Preferably one that does paint and airbrush.

I've done many over the years when I was in business, including for my own car.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I had one made by Car Show Boards - Boardsbynick.com

Looks like he is only doing more simple designs now, which is probably better. At the time, he gave me a price break because I just had him email me the final photo file. I then just had it printed poster size (Walgreens, Walmart, etc) and put it in a frame. I really don't use it anymore, but thought it was pretty slick when I got it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Back in the 80's, we had an award-winning '36 Chevy Sedan Delivery street rod. Had a local guy hand-paint a sign for it for the car shows. More people asked about the sign than the car.....:D

Lettering is painted on black plexiglass, approx. 36" tall x 18" wide. The only thing I never liked was, after "Goodies", he switched from all caps on the 1st line to a different font on the 2nd line.....never did know why except he liked to have a few beers while painting.

Car (and painter) are long gone, I still have the sign for sentimental reasons.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Have at least 3 or 4 people proofread it before paying ...

:rolleyes:
+1.

A fellow sign painter in my town was also a circle track racer. He lettered his own car, and in big letters on the trunk he put 'SIGNS BY PATRIK'. Problem was his name was Patrick! :grin2:

Reactions: 66 Bu and davewho1

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Have at least 3 or 4 people proofread it before paying ...

:rolleyes:
X2 and there is something to be said for white space, don't cram every fact on it so the font ends up need a magnifying glass to read it. Break information up into separate boxes and "bullet points" work well too. You want to make it an easy read.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Check with Neil Bell at Bell Company in Trussville, Alabama. I've done business with these guys for over 30 years. They're capable of just about anything you can imagine. Quality work at fair prices.

·
Registered
13,190 Posts
Some are tasteful----------------------and some are just WAAAAAAAAAAY too much. Have you ever noticed with the big, too much signs that people get tired of reading them and walk away before they finish reading everything in the sign. Personally, I don't care for the signs that cover up part of the car or the ones under the hood, such as on top of the air cleaner, nor the monkey, donkey, tiger or kid dolls.

SOMETIMES, depending on the event, I put this one out---------------------and I often wonder if it is too much. It's free standing on a small tripod.

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
5,018 Posts
I would be interested in knowing who makes this style of freestanding sign.

These are okay as you can just reprint the sign insert anytime and change it out. We used these in the marketing department for the company I used to work for...for offsite event sales

Advantages: Unlimited ability to change out your message
Disadvantages: See below and also will catch wind and blow over (possibly into someone else's car)

With that being said:

24 x 36 Plastic Signs | Inserts & Lenses Included

We have used these for the business I used to work for. Be advised that the “lenses” (plastic covers) that are there to protect the signs will buckle up and wrinkle at temps near 100 degrees

The Signicade and Signicade Deluxe are A-frame sign stands by Plasticade (a division of American Louver).

No experience with these folks

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Who has a great car show plaque/sign detailing what’s been done to the vehicle? Where to you design and buy such a thing?? I see them all over, I suppose I could make one? I’ve seen some really great ones that actually go under the front tire so they don’t blow over, some appear to be Plexiglas, see through, etc. Where are folks getting these things?

i have worked in Photoshop for about 15 years if you need some help with initial designs or something.
I usually make my own sign and bring to Fedex or similar for printing.
Let me know if I can help.
And I am not soliciting work or payment of any type. Just offering a hand if needed.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My neighbor is into advertising and mentioned this as well (FedEx/Kinkos) I like the idea of being able to design it myself. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
These are okay as you can just reprint the sign insert anytime and change it out. We used these in the marketing department for the company I used to work for...for offsite event sales

Advantages: Unlimited ability to change out your message
Disadvantages: See below and also will catch wind and blow over (possibly into someone else's car)
Thanks for the reply to my inquiry Bruce.

·
Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
5,018 Posts
No problem Richard....glad I could help!

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I made a plexiglass sign that attaches to my ( 1970 front bumper or any 1970) front bumper. I take it off an keep it behind the seat. It takes almost 30-40 seconds to set up. A big thing that I wanted....... It WILL NOT blow over or move at all and if need be, You can dam near winch the car with the sign mount.
Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts