Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all

just wondering what you guys use for your security - i am thinking of installing one of those kill switch - but not sure which one and where to install it.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Nothing protects a car 100%. A kill switch has value but isn't perfect. There are some other ideas in the Main Chevelle forum (first forum). Type in "kill switch" as the search words. Can tell you how to wire one if that's the way you want to go. Just let me know.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am thinking of one on the positive battery - but i dont know of any switch that can stand that current. also - probably a way to disable to coil.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The best way to do it is....Hook up a hidden kill switch going to your ignition,put it under the carpet of somthing ,not in the usual place like under the dash.Find a way to lock your hood so they can't wire directly to the coil :confused: .

They want to fire it up and go so chances are good that they won't take the time to trace the wiring.Even if they did they can't get under the hood.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Everyone has their personal preferences. My thinking is probably different than a lot of people. I would much prefer that someone actually is able to start the car and suspect that everything is OK. I would actually like for them to pull away from the curb or out of that hidden parking spot. Give them about 45 seconds or so of operating time before the car dies in the middle of traffic. Nothing worse that stalling in the middle of the street to have people stare at you.
A timer relay can do this. If the wire that goes to coil (+), under dash, is run through the normally closed (NC) contacts of the relay, everything is fine unless the relay activates and opens. A dual contact (STDP) kill switch is used on one side of the relay coil. The other side of the kill switch goes to the IGN terminal. The other side of the STDP kill switch is run though a ser of normally open (NO) contacts and is tied between the relay coil and a constant 12 volts to act as a latch. If the relay has a third set of contacts, these can be used to blow the horn. Sorry can't draw anything.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Give them about 45 seconds or so of operating time before the car dies in the middle of traffic.
I had thought of that too but think about the brakes and power steering if you have it.When the engine dies you have neither :eek:

How many amps does it take to hold line lock/roll control?

Set your line lock and leave it on,when they try to move they'll just go up in smoke and cause alot of attention.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I don't have the answer of how much current a line lock takes. Maybe someone else does. Will the idea work? Sure most ideas have merit but none are fool proof. That's why, in my thinking, I want to call as much attention to the thief as possible and force him back out of the car if possible. Something that also can be put together cheaply by anyone and takes no power either activated or off. Everyone has a slightly different approach to the problem. I just put up mine.
Power brakes do work if your engine stalls on the highway. At least mine did a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it'd be cool if someone can find a way to make the car inject fuel into the thief - would definately scare the crap out of them.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I have heard rumors that a car isn't considered "stolen" unless it is moved. Until then any broken windows or torn convertible tops are simply "vandalized" and won't be covered by theft insurance.
Another reason for timed kill switches.
Of course, if it stops in front of a truck and the poor, misunderstood victim of society's ills gets plowed, he'll probably sue you.

K

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Awhile back I had 65 impala with a kill switch,
I hid the toggle switch in the ashtray bracket.
worked great pull ashtray out, hit the toggle and go. Then when you park push in the ashtray and kill switch is engaged. I used black wire to make it difficult to trace, and the switch is not visable from underneath. Just don,t let your wife shut the ashtray while your on the highway. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts