Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car runs at 170 at Idle and runs up to 195 while on the freeway. is there any way to stop this? I have a really big 4row radator with two 12" electric fans.
thanx
Justin Mciver

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
195 is not that bad. Does it continue to climb past 195? If so, the radiator probably needs cleaning. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,005 Posts
Yeah, there's a way. Get rid of the electric fans and put on a stock fan and fan clutch. Problem will disappear.

Tom (this is assuming that your radiator is good, if your radiator is plugged up with mineral deposits you can get the same thing, running hot at speed.)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mechanical advance?
Harley

W

·
0 Posts
Harley has the right idea, this could be timming related. Those mechanical advance distributors for a street car are not the way to go. I removed the Mallory unilite unit from my sons 71 and replaced it with a early corvette cast iron vacuum unit with a unilite conversion. The best of both worlds, no points and a nice vacuum advance unit. Makes a big difference in how the car drives.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
since Im using a truck motor it has the long water pump. so I dont have room for a conventional fan setup or the money for the short pump conversion.

I am running a stock HEI with the stock 77, advance springs. right now my advance goes almost to 40 under revs. if I go to the strongest advance springs would that limit the advance enough? or should I just yank the dist. and take it to a profesional to be curved?

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you have the fans setup in a pushing configuration (they are mounted on the front of the radiator), this can actually prevent airflow through the radiator. If possible, you should have the fans pull the air through the radiator (mounted on the engine side of the radiator).

I have also heard that adding one of those air dam things below the radiator helps cooling. Its supposed to do two things:

1. At idle, prevents hot air from the engine compartment from being drawn back through the radiator.

2. At speed, creates a low pressure area behind the radiator to give the air in the engine compartment a place to go. This allows more air to flow through the radiator.

Actually, 195 isn't really all that bad. If it doesn't get any higher, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The HEI sounds ok. I was thinking that maybe tha advance was locked up and not advancing.
What C.I. motor are you running? What chassis do you have that the long waterpump system won't work?
Harley

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
don't forget the tranny if you only have a 3spd tranny and low gears it will run warmer on the highway, mine does the same with a new radiator (custom made) everything is adjusted correctly it's just the real high rpms brings mine to 205 or so. that's why im changing trannies to the 2004r for the overdrive. jk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
because its a truck motor it has a long water pump and pullys, which leaves no room for a conventional fan.

I have a Th350 with 3.08 and a really tall tire. freeway Rpms are about 3k should that be too hot?
could it bethe water is moving throught the radiator too fast? not enought time to cool?
should I try a restrictor plate or something?

im going to check my timing today. I think my timing right now is 14inital and 40total. would too much timing make it get hot?

also what should I check on he carb to see if its running lean or something.

thanx for all of your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Read your plugs! Maybe you are leaning it out. Check your timing.Are your fans turning the right direction. At higher speeds the air maybe creating a wall and not correctly going through your rad! direction will depend upon where they are placed, behind or infront of the rad.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the fans are going in the right direction. im running a 160 thermastat. would a diffrent one help?

lean plugs are white right"?

could it be a kink in a hose or something like that?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Check your radiator hoses, the return (radiator to the pump) could be collapsing at speed, or the pump to radiator could be plugging up at speed due to crap in it, delamination etc.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how do I check my hoses at speed? (just kidding )

I think I may have founda kink in the lower hose.
that would make sense right?
at idle the kink alows enough water through because its not pumping as much water.
but under revs the kink is too ristrictive for how much water the motor wants to flow.
sound about right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.