Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my car at night (64 chevelle) which I hadn't done in quite a while (a couple of months) and noticed that the needle on the gauge was moving towards the C (charging) while at cruising speeds and moved towards the D (discharging)when I was at stop lights. (It doesn't do this during the day, I know I have on extra things at night: lights) I hadn't had this problem before and lately I have been having a problem with my car not starting, I'll try to start it and the starter will just click and then I'll leave it alone for a couple of minutes, then I try it again and it starts perfectly fine (all the while the battery seems to be working because everything works fine, in fact I hear a sort of fan noise when I try to start it whether just on ACC or on START or ON, even though the car won't start, I'm thinking it is coming from the air conditioning system, I really don't know. I'm thinking something is discharging the battery, do I need to check the alternator? Please help, I am not very wise on car knowledge.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
If you go to an Autozone or Checker, they'll test it for you with everything on the car. No charge. Could just be a dirty cable or bad or loose ground.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I second a dirty or corroded ground wire someplace. I would first check your neg. battery cable, then work your way over to your headlights, etc, that you have on at night. My 69 Charger does the same thing. At night, when the headlights are on and I am at a stop light, the ammeter goes to the neg. side. I take my foot off the brakes and it goes back to slightly above the zero mark. Mopars were known to be a pain when it came to grounding problems as everything seemed to be all routed to a couple of grounds. In all odds, I would almost lay money that it is a grounding problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts