Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy in town , who for the past 20 years, has sat on almost every part he bought. He bought 3 '67 SS Chevelles out from under me, one a convertible, and all matching #'s. He also has several more. I saw him this time last year, and he teased me again with, which one are you interested in...but can't get him to price anything. It's always, "That's my brothers, or I have to call him to see" Same old BS. So, I saw his brother a month ago, and ask him about the cars. Yeah, I have 4-5 I will sell, 'cause I have to have them moved. So he calls me Friday evening, and we ride down to look at them Sunday afternoon. He has a 1966 Malibu , R R code, black interior, a 1967 Malibu, L-2 , Turquoise/black vinyl top/matching # 283/glide car, a 1968 Malibu, 327/3 speed car, and 2 1979 Trans Ams, one WS-6 car, disk /posi rear, T-tops, and the other basically parts car. The '66 had a 1991 Tag and sticker on it, so it had been driven the last of any, and they were parked RIGHT NEXT to a chicken house. Guess what...the ammonia has eaten them down to nothing. The 1967 is a Fred Flintstone car, no floor what so ever, and the others are right behind them. His reply, "Man, I guess I should have checked on them 10-15 years ago". He asked me what I would do with them, and I told him part the T/A's out, and see if anything was useable off the Chevelles, but that I wasn't interested. I know I am not alone in being frustrated, but why do people let cars get to this point, without a care in the world? And he wouldn't price the matching #'s 1967 SS, Red/Red bench seat 4 speed car, or his 1966 SS a friend of mine was 2nd owner of. "I might get around to fixing those one day!!!!" was his reply. UUGGGHHHHHH

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
There is a guy near here that has from what I can see about 30 71-74 chrysler b bodies, chargers, satlittes and what not, just sitting, some do have tarps on them, or what used to be tarps,now what the hell is he going to do with all those, you can't tell me he is going to restore them all!!

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
some guys just like to own this stuff that other people want. Why else would he want to tease you with it? Probably out trying to make other people nuts too. Best thing to do is just leave a number and tell them if they decide to sell, just call. Then go on to other things. One thing about looking at older cars. Rule number 1 is to have cash on hand. And when a deal pops up, dont second guess yourself. If its a good deal and in your price range, just pony up the cash and buy it. Most guys into classic has a pretty good idea what these things are worth, so when a "deal" pops up, they usually go in a hurry. jim

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Well i am one of those Hoarders,i have cars that i bought when i was 15 years old,i am 38 now.I dont buy them because they are sought after,i buy them because i like them even though i know i will never get to them all,i have another property that i have started to put them at. I drive a couple that are insured and tinker with a couple.i have found you just got to have the cash ready for when they come up.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I dunno, I think that people who buy cars that they can't afford to fix (or just say "I don't have the time" to fix... sure sure...) are a joke. Say what you want, but you know that even if they own a car that is worth only $1000 and choose to keep it and do nothing instead of selling it or fixing it are literally fools watching their money turn into dust. If it was a check worth a grand sitting in their back yard and every day it ripped a little more each day they would be stupid not to cash it. The way I see it, it's kinda the same with an old car that they have no intentions of fixing or selling. Honestly, that's fine, there are lots of old cars out there and instead of begging them to sell their car, I'll laugh at them for investing their money into something that is going to be worthless becasue of their poor logic. Enjoy the lawn ornimate, I'll offer to drag it out of your backyard for $200 bucks when it's on it's way to the crusher...

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
some guys just like to own this stuff that other people want. Why else would he want to tease you with it? Probably out trying to make other people nuts too.
This has always been my belief as well. It may not always be the case, sometimes, there is a sentamental value there if a previous family member owned it. But it seems when there are rare cars found now days, the property is so run down that the car is the only real thing they have left and I think some of these people enjoy having at least something they know other people want. Until it becomes to late and the vehicle gets so bad, it is no longer worth restoring anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
This has always been my belief as well. It may not always be the case, sometimes, there is a sentamental value there if a previous family member owned it. But it seems when there are rare cars found now days, the property is so run down that the car is the only real thing they have left and I think some of these people enjoy having at least something they know other people want. Until it becomes to late and the vehicle gets so bad, it is no longer worth restoring anymore.
Exactly right. It is thier car/cars, but its a shame to see them get beyond repair while the lazy sob sits on the couch collecting disability from a hang nail, knowing he'll never have the money or ambition to fix them. I swear some of these hoarders think they can hang onto these rust buckets and they will actually be worth big bucks some day. :noway:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I have a friend/co-worker who is somewhat of a car hoarder. Good thing most of them are Mustangs or I would be really upset. But he does have a 63 split window 327/4-speed Corvette and a 69 Z-28 in the bunch too. At least the Vette is indoors but is covered with junk in his garage. The Z-28 is outside with a tarp on it. He also stores some friends cars outside. I seem to remember a 66 SD Beaumont rotting away that his buddy won't sell. He is now retired so I'll wait and see if he starts working on them now that he has the time.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Sometimes life gets in the way. You have cars, buy cars, plans and life goals change - money, family, etc. and you cant let go of that dream that you will one day get back to it. People with that dream cannot let them go because the only thing worse than seeing them leave is to have them drive past you all done and looking pretty. That essentially becomes the icing on the "failure cake".

They cant and wont admit to themselves that they are going to fail. I dont think its the car or sentimental anything....I think its the thought of finalizing the failure of a dream they once had that was set aside due to life getting in the way.

Its like being a full tilt drug addict finally admitting they have a problem. It takes absolute rock bottom to admit you have a problem and have failed horribly. Thats not easy to do.

·
Premium Member
7,109 Posts
I have a friend/co-worker who is somewhat of a car hoarder. Good thing most of them are Mustangs or I would be really upset. But he does have a 63 split window 327/4-speed Corvette and a 69 Z-28 in the bunch too. At least the Vette is indoors but is covered with junk in his garage. The Z-28 is outside with a tarp on it. He also stores some friends cars outside. I seem to remember a 66 SD Beaumont rotting away that his buddy won't sell. He is now retired so I'll wait and see if he starts working on them now that he has the time.
You know my buddy Mark in Tampa? Yeah, also know a bud with a 69 Z28 and a 63 Split window rotting away...

·
Premium Member
17,402 Posts
I swear some of these hoarders think they can hang onto these rust buckets and they will actually be worth big bucks some day. :noway:
But actually, classics, such as Chevelles HAVE gone way up in value... But I don't really think thats what most "hoarders" were thinking when they bought them...

[quote-JRS1967]I dunno, I think that people who buy cars that they can't afford to fix (or just say "I don't have the time" to fix... sure sure...) are a joke. Say what you want, but you know that even if they own a car that is worth only $1000 and choose to keep it and do nothing instead of selling it or fixing it are literally fools watching their money turn into dust.[/quote]

Who says they can't afford to fix them, or that they couldn't afford to back when they bought them?

Have you ever gone a few weeks where you couldn't afford the parts to fix up you car? How about a few months? maybe several years...

As said before, sometimes life gets in the way. Sometimes we really do plan of fixing up that old car, but life gets in the way...

I have a '66 SS, it has not run since October 1985. I really do plan on restoring (modifying) it someday. While I have the money in the bank, I also have a mortgage, a home that needs repairs, young kids (need to think about college someday), a wife (the money is "ours")... I don't need the money, so why should I sell unless someone makes it worth my while?

I parked the car in '85, after it broke a ring. I disassembled it in preparation for a "restoration"... But then I cam across a '66 Chevelle convertible, so that occupied my time and money for a few years... then there came a '66 El Camino (factory 396 original engine), then I went back to school, then it was time to pay off student loans, look into a newer commute car, buy a house, get married, do some other work on the convertible, spend time and money on other hobbies and vacations, etc... Then move to a bigger house, have some kids that take up time and money...

But I still honestly do plan on restoring the car someday... I'll buy a few parts when I see them, and maybe do a little work...

I sold my convertible with the intention of putting the money into the '66 SS... But then i knew I'd need another car to "play" with (cruise nights, etc) because I knew it would take a few years for the '66 to be done... I bought a '70, and its become a favorite. I have sunk lots more time and money into it than I planned, and thats set the '66 back further... And I no longer have indoor storage...

But I am sure there are people that just think of me as having an old car rusting away in my yard... Oh well, its my car... make me a reasonable offer and maybe I'd consider, but most people try to lowball you...

But really, people should do their best to keep them from rotting away...

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Interesting views so far. I've seen these types of threads every so often and people have very spirited opinions, usually negative, towards the "hoarders". If you think of them as enthusiasts with limited means then they really are no different then high-end collectors that may have a couple screws needing adjusting. Maybe that's the only tether they hold to the past and really don't see a need to restore them as they already tell the story they want to hear. Many in my immediate circle think the amount of time and money I spend on this hobby is insane, just a different peck in the order I suppose.

Jerry

·
Registered
397 Posts
But I am sure there are people that just think of me as having an old car rusting away in my yard... Oh well, its my car... make me a reasonable offer and maybe I'd consider, but most people try to lowball you...

You have one car that is on hold, I obviously don't expect people to be able to pay for a full restoration as soon as they buy the car and I understand that responsibilities come up. In the original post, it was talking about a guy who has bought several cars and just let them rust beyond repair that would not sell them until they were junk and enjoyed rubbing it in a guys face that he has them. Hope that cleared things up :beers:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
interesting different views.i started collecting at a young age as stated earlier.the way i see it kinda saved quite a few from their fate,being crushed or parted out,when i was in high school I really wanted a BB chevelle but had no means to buy one,there was a older local guy that bought some of the cars i would have died to have,i found out where he lived and could not believe that he bought them and parted them out,he said there where worth more in parts.one of them was a kid at school had a 72 BB chevelle 4 speed,it showed its wear but it ran and drove.this guy got it and parted it. At least i did not part anything of value,only cars i bought were very bad or hate to say now 4 doors or other oddity.as you get older and the funds are there,i tend to buy when they come up as i like them,i have a place for them and appreciate for what they are.no they wont go to the crusher or be sold for a couple hundred bucks.on a different note one car that is going to donate parts is a 4 door i have to Jim's 402 4 speed 4 door he's doing now,just think if i did't buy that car and have just sitting out in the yard to donate parts to save another.To each his own.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
This guy lives about 2 hrs south of me, fairly close to the US border.

http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-WANTED-64-72-CHEVELLES-W0QQAdIdZ168966592

I called him to see if he sells parts. He was a little reluctant but agreed to sell me some frame sections I was looking for. He told me he's been collecting Chevelles for years and has "about a dozen" SS cars in various shape. He didn't want to sell any of them. I wonder if he's setting himself up for a chevelle only salvage yard.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If I had those cars I wouldn't sell them either. Let's say I decide to sell them, here are the possible outcomes - from most likely to least likely:

1. Guy buys my car and parks it out behind his shop, where it will sit for another 20 years while he tells everyone "Someday I'll fix it"

2. Guy buys my car and totally disassembles it for a frame off resto. Then he runs out of money and loses interest. He then sells the dismantled car to somebody who then sells the parts on ebay.

3. Guy buys my car, slaps on a half inch of bondo and a Maaco paint job and puts it up for sale as a "meticulously restored survivor" for some ridiculous price.

4. Guy buys my car, then flips it for a quick profit to another guy who does a
nut and bolt restoration. Car spends the rest of its life being sold back and forth on Barrett Jackson, to people who have no intention of ever driving the car.

In most cases, that car is better off staying in my backyard. I'm sure if I sold it I would never be able to find another one I could afford. Just because people won't accept a reasonable offer, that doesn't make them greedy.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
But actually, classics, such as Chevelles HAVE gone way up in value... But I don't really think thats what most "hoarders" were thinking when they bought them...

[quote-JRS1967]I dunno, I think that people who buy cars that they can't afford to fix (or just say "I don't have the time" to fix... sure sure...) are a joke. Say what you want, but you know that even if they own a car that is worth only $1000 and choose to keep it and do nothing instead of selling it or fixing it are literally fools watching their money turn into dust.

Tony, I should have been more specific. Around here (northeast) the climate is a cars worst nightmare. Damp, humid, snow, rain all take thier toll in a short time. I know a guy with a 66 396/375/4sp car he bought in 68 with less than 10000 miles on it. It's been setting beside a swamp behind his house for over 30 yrs, covered with a felt (which holds water like a sponge). He makes good money, loves to talk cars, but will not discuss doing anything with the car. Says he "might give it to his grandson". 10 yrs ago, we went to check some numbers and tried to open the hood. It folded up around the hinges. The seats have fallen thru thre floor onto the frame rails, back window fell in on the rear seat, motor set up tight, its junk. It's full of snakes. Now mind you, when he drove this car down there and parked it, it was nearly mint. This, to me, is just ignorant. He's a close friend, but I just can't figure this out. :confused:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've got two stories about hoarders that might explain part of it...

10-12 or so years ago my dad had a neighbor with three or four old Ford Falcons sitting under a tree on his farm. I was just getting to the point financially where i could afford to pick up some old rust-bucket and start restoring it.
Talked to he guy and he said, "just pick one out and you can have it...I'm tired of lookin at 'em" went down to the car tree, and found one of them was a 69 Falcon Futura, two door, V8 car. He said it had been sitting for fifteen years, and it was bad, but salvagable. Made arrangements with the guy to pick it up the following week. The day before I was to go pick it up, my dad called and said the guy told him to tell me to bring $1,500 with me when I came to pick it up. It's still sitting there. He just got greedy. I would have offered he guy a few hundred for his trouble.

Had a friend many years ago (mid-nineties)who had a 67-68 (?) Impala. Needed money (baby coming) and tried to sell it for months, he was only asking about half what it was worth. At that time the hot cars were the Street Rods. No buyers ever stepped up, except a few low balling tire kickers. He took it out to his folks after the baby arrived where it sat for years. Once in a while, someone would stop and offer to "buy" it for practically nothing. He finally sold it ten years (2005)or so later for double what he originally wanted for it. And this was AFTER it sat outside all that time. Pretty funny if you think about it. Some cars sit for a long time, because nobody wants them, then suddenly, they become popular.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts