Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I put my car in park and the car shut off and died. The horn relay starts to smoke bad when the key is on the Acc. position. Also the car won't even crank even though the battery still has 12 volts. Is this because of a bad regulator or bad ignition switch? Also several months ago I noticed that when I would turn the key over a puff of smoke came from the column, but I went away after a while. Any ideas are wanted and helpful.
Thanks
Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
It's difficult to diagnose your problem without looking at the car. The horn relay is a major junction for the power feeding everything in your car. Was the smoke coming from the horn relay or from the wiring? Do you have a fusible link from the battery positive post to the J-block? Has the wiring been modified? Is the puff of smoke coming from up near the steering wheel or from under the dash like around the ignition switch? My take on this is that someone has changed the wiring and didn't know what he/she was doing or wiring has been burned together somewhere in the harness. If your letting smoke out of things it's a pretty good indication that your wiring needs to be replaced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,762 Posts
Well, I don't see it offhand. There's a short somewhere but seems to be in different places. Maybe the horn wire or the key minder wires in the column are somehow involved.
Think the first thing I would try is to remove the wires off the horn relay EXCEPT for the large red ones. Leave those on. See if the horn relay still gets hot or smokes.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top