Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends 64 Impala set in the garage most of the time, he starts it about once a week and drives it every three or four weeks.
Today he went out started it and it ran for a little bit and died, started it back up and ran about 5-10 mins and died again, now it wont turn over/nothing when you turn the key, and he has no headlights, no dash lights, idiot lights wont even come on when the key is in the on position.
the horn honks, I'm trying to help over the phone any ideas or suggestons?

Rocky

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
With a test light any power to a BAT terminal on the fuse block?
Same question for power on coil (+) when the key is over to START.

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
My friends 66 Chevelle had this problem, As did my 66 a few years ago...

Mine would intermittantly die when driving, and finally it died about every 2-3 minutes (took me 1/2 hour to get less than 1 mile to home).

Buddys car just completely died with no power to dash, etc...

Both turned out to have bad connections at the firewall (bulkhead connector)...

The horn might still work, because the power for the horn does not come through the bulkhead, only the ground (on a separate wire)...

So maybe that main feed connector at the bulkhead is dirty/corroded/loose...

On our two cars, entire car was 'dead' because no power was getting from the battery to the fuse box... A little wiggle of the connector was all it took to get going again...

On mine, I had to actually clean up and tighten the electric contacts (loose in the plastic block), while on my friends, we are going to have to replace the connector portion, as all the retaining "prongs" are broken off... His works now, but the connector is pretty much just "loose".

I first traced to the horn relay (or back of alternator) to see if there is power there... next step is the bulkhead...

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the problem, had power at horn relay no power at Bat term, no power at coil with key in start position. no power at ign switch The hot wire that runs to the ign switch and appears to run to one side of the horn relay through the forward harness had been spliced sometime in its lifetime, redid the connection and bingo, problem solved.
Thanks guys.

Rocky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts