Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Yesturday I turn on my car, and about a minute after it died. I tryed to start it again and all it did was turn over, no spark. But then I looked at my volt guage and saw the volts drop from 12 to 10 when the key was turned. Also before I left the car park I unplug the battery wire from the HEI, so know one could start it if they broke in. After an hour or two just sitting there 3:00 in the morning, waiting for AAA to come, I tryed turning the key and it started, but I couldn't take my foot off the gas or else it seemed like it was going to die again, so I drove home with my foot on the gas and brake at stop lights. What do you think could be the problem? The battery is brand new, and the alternator I had since I bought the car, Could it be that? thanks, Eric

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I suspect your alt is shot and you ran off the battery.

SO in addition to getting your alternator checked you might wanna throw your battery on a charger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh yeah I had the same problem once on my '68.

Dead internal voltage regulator caused a huge voltage spike and my Hi Beams went off like gunshots!

I was doing about 95 on the freeway at this time though

Needless to say, she limped home at about 5mph and once I let my foot off the gas it was dead in my driveway.

I replaced the alt. and the smoked 12V pri. lead and was back to normal.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take the alternator to a pep boys or something to get it checked out.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I think I found the problem, I wasn't getting enough fuel. I check The sight plugs on the holley and found not a drop of fuel coming out of it. So I raised the bowl up and it seem to run better too, before it was running a little ruff. I guess that's why it was trying to die on me except for when I gave it gas. So I guess this should be in a different section now. thanks guys for the help. Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts