Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at installing an alarm on my 68. The unit that I'm currently interested in is the Clifford Concept 20.

Has anyone else either installed or had an alarm installed on their Chevelle? Do you have any advice or comments to share (bash-free of course
)

Thanks, Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kurt;

Go to the "tech ref" section.

(or e-mail me direct if you have any specific questions)

Wes. (not telling my tire size) Vann

·
Registered
321 Posts
Kurt,

Something that I've been meaning to implement on my 70SS is a kill switch that was discussed here awhile back.

Using your cigarette lighter (I don't smoke) you run a wire from the terminal on the back of the lighter to the coil (-) terminal. When the lighter is pushed in it grounds the coil, thus killing the car. Not hi-tech by any means but very effective.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
63 Posts
Kurt,
Give me some info and I can get you whatever you need-info, product, install assistance.

Standard stuff
1-Restored or modified?
2-Carbed or FI? for remote start
3-Power door locks? avail. for keyless entry
4-Convertible? zone coverage(proximity)
5-Power trunk release? avail. for remote trunk access
6-Sensitivity requested--"Sneeze through Smash"
7-Alternate functions?--air ride bags, power windows,...
8-Starter/Ignition kill?
9-Who will install it?

I have sold and installed many different makes and models over the years and have nothing against Cliffies. They are a good seller in my area. Let me know what features you have seen that you feel are required for your car and I will do what I can to help you!

Rob

------------------

1BADS72
Robert Anderson
The Radio Shops
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]
">[email protected]
</A>
http://pages.hotbot.com/photo/1bads72/

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rob,

1. Restored
2. Carb
3. No
4. Hardtop
5. No
6. Not too sensitive as I do leave it next to other cars in my lot some nights.
7. No
8. Sure
9. I will.

The unit I was looking at is pretty basic. I was going to list the features, but this is faster: http://www.clifford.com/con20.html

I don't need any fancy stuff like panic buttons (not much carjacking in this area) or Lo-Jack features. Therer aren't any power options or remote releases on the Chevele either. I just want something which will protect it in the parking lot at night, and keep someone from boosting the rims.

I was quoted $199 for the system, installed, but I would have no trouble at all doing it myself. With the entire interior out of my car, I figured this would be a good time to get it done.

The only added item to the basic package was an extra pin switch on the hood. Since there isn't a lock, and that's the location for the siren, I figured it would be necessary.

Any thoughts? I've got plenty of time before I actually need to buy it. The car is still in storage, and I won't be sending it to the body shop for the floor repair until April. Once I get it back is when I'll want to put the alarm in. Thus, I've got a lot of time to check out different units.

Thanks, Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Best thing for the rim protection, other than more than one style of lock nuts, is an inclinometer or piezo motion detector. Both of the sensors are mercury based motion switches that measure the resting position of the vehicle when the alarm is set, and if changed, set off the alarm. Either option normally will set you back $89. The inc meter is forgiving enough to accept wind pushing the car around without setting off the alarm, its more of a deterent to towing. I prefer the piezo sensors. You can attach one to the rear axle and run the wires along with the brake lines for easy installation. This way the shock sensor in the alarm, which you should mount very securely to the steering column, protects the vehicle in general and the piezo will detect someone jacking up the rear to get your wheels.

The extra pin switch for the hood is a good idea, but consider a mercury switch instead. Pin switches get old quick and can stick easily, plus the mercs are millions of times easier to install. Maybe a pin switch on the hood release pull rod. Be very thorough (read picky) when choosing a place to mount the siren. Best option is to point it at an angle towards the ground so sound radiates in all directions out from under the hood. Make sure and drill a hole in the center of the horn in a position that will help drain water out if it should get in there. Remember that if anybody can spot your siren or its wires, its useless. Any sh**head with snips or a can of foaming shave gel can kill that thing in a second.

Verify that you can buy this system without having it installed. The CC20 was replaced by the IQ700. Both should have remote shock sensor sensitivity adjustability. Big advantage there is that you can go from sneeze level to smash level with the remote and valet switch and not have to mess with the brain. More features, more money...

Anything else, just let me know!

------------------

1BADS72
Robert Anderson
The Radio Shops
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]
">[email protected]
</A>
pages.hotbot.com/photo/1bads72/

[This message has been edited by 1BADS72 (edited 01-29-99).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status